I need opinion about video cards and power in W!

Jul 9, 2018
Hello, may i ask something? The question is this: Am i able to use Nvidia GeForce 9800GT with 600Wpower when it wants around 400-450? and which video card is better Nvidia gt 240 or 9800GT ?

Solution
you are mixing up a couple things. a 32 bit windows can only see 3.5 GB of ram. this has nothing to do with a 32 or 64 bit processor. with that said, you have a 64 bit processor anyway as they have all been 64 bit for a long time now.

you need to check your windows for whether it is 32 or 64 bit. if it is 64 bit then you can have over 4 gb of ram, if it is only 32 bit then it will only read 3.5 gb. having more won't hurt the system but it will only show 3.5 gb. so you can stick 4 gb ram in without causing any problems if you only have 32 bit windows.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the card itself is about a 100w card. the 400-450w suggestion is for the size of the psu that should be paired with it. this leaves power for the rest of the system. a 600w psu is more than enough if it is a quality unit. if it is a junk unit, then it may not even be able to provide the power it claims.

so to be sure, please list the rest of the system specs including the model of the psu so we can check things out for you.

and the 9800 gt is slightly better than the gt 240 though not by much at all.

Jul 9, 2018
My mother board is Asus m2ns, my power is 300W and im using 2x1GB ram ddr2 800 mhz that i will upgrade to 1x4gb ddr2 800mhz soon. With this system, am i able to use gt9800 without changing my power? I also use amd athlon64 x2 dual core 4000+ 2,10ghz if it matters.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would note, according to the Specifications Page for your motherboard, that it has four RAM slots and a max 8GB RAM supported. Also, from the motherboard manual:

Due to chipset limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 8 GB on the operating systems listed below. You may install a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs on each slot, but only DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 2 GB density modules are available for this configuration.

As for the graphics card, it might boot up on a 300 watt power supply, but may crash during high usage (gaming). I'd upgrade the power supply as well. If it were me, I'd do the RAM upgrade first, then the power supply upgrade, and finally, the graphics card upgrade.

-Wolf sends

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i agree with wolf. 300 is not enough for the new gpu.

but the ram upgrade would make a nice difference. then get a new power supply and finally a new gpu. we'll be happy to help pick a new quality psu for you when the time comes. just come on back and ask and we'll help find something within your budget and needs. :)

Jul 9, 2018
Hi again, i'm sorry but may i ask again :D ? I read that if i install 1x4gb ddr2 800mhz on my mother board it can be possible my 32 bit processor to recognize it as 3Gb maximum and i read that its better to install less than 3gb on(i dont know is it in on or with, i'm sorry) 1x. I read that 2x2gb will be better for my 32bit processor, too. The question is: Is that true or not ? I want to say thanks for all the help and i'm so happy that there on the world are people that are ready to help anytime to anyone without asking for money or some other payments!!! I will recommend this site to all my friends who need help!! Thank you, guys <3 I am sorry if I have made mistakes in my English "Speech".

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you are mixing up a couple things. a 32 bit windows can only see 3.5 GB of ram. this has nothing to do with a 32 or 64 bit processor. with that said, you have a 64 bit processor anyway as they have all been 64 bit for a long time now.

you need to check your windows for whether it is 32 or 64 bit. if it is 64 bit then you can have over 4 gb of ram, if it is only 32 bit then it will only read 3.5 gb. having more won't hurt the system but it will only show 3.5 gb. so you can stick 4 gb ram in without causing any problems if you only have 32 bit windows.

Solution