[SOLVED] I need overclock specs for a gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra ?

irvinparrett

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I need overclock specs for a gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra. Wanted 4.50 GHZ. I have Ryzen 9 5950 16 core water cooled. I cannot find anything about this combo anywhere on the web.

Currently i have the PBO and Ram clock activated only. I am a Rookie again also. I built and overclocked my older pc's but when the convenience of laptops came about the last decade i just purchased gaming units which were fully capable of processing my photography images and video.

But now again the rules have changed in order to take advantage of the AMD's (I have been an intel freak all these past years) lightning speed 16 core processor i have yet again purchased a desktop over laptop.

Trouble is now that i am 62 (wait) 63 years old (see i can't get that straight) let alone remember how to manually overclock a pc.

And, Once Again! I am relying on the already experienced to help me through this.

P.S. I do have AMD Ryzen Master software installed and i set Auto Overclock and then ran a successful stress test but it wasn't a very long test. The computer began to randomly reboot while using windows so, i just used pbo and ram.

I have a question too about PBO. if manual overclock is done is pbo need to be disabled?

Thanks so much for reading and responding.

Solution
From what i experience, the easiest way to manually raise all clock to the desired value, is by disabling any pbo, disabling amd cool n quiet in the bios, set the cpu voltage to 1.35 or 1.4 max, and increasing the multiplier/frequency to the desired value.

But before raising it to the desired, try to do 4.2 and increasing the frequency when it is still stable till the desired frequency.

After that, slowly decrease the voltage until you found the unstable/crashes during stress test, this is the part that will take time at most.

personally i use aida Stress FPU only (since its really heavy to stress the fpu only) or do Prime95 Smallest fft and let it go for an hour or more.

try to reach the stable point using Ryzen Master, and when...
From what i experience, the easiest way to manually raise all clock to the desired value, is by disabling any pbo, disabling amd cool n quiet in the bios, set the cpu voltage to 1.35 or 1.4 max, and increasing the multiplier/frequency to the desired value.

But before raising it to the desired, try to do 4.2 and increasing the frequency when it is still stable till the desired frequency.

After that, slowly decrease the voltage until you found the unstable/crashes during stress test, this is the part that will take time at most.

personally i use aida Stress FPU only (since its really heavy to stress the fpu only) or do Prime95 Smallest fft and let it go for an hour or more.

try to reach the stable point using Ryzen Master, and when you found the stable voltage on 4.5GHz all core, apply the core voltage value into bios, and enjoy :D

Solution

irvinparrett

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

try to reach the stable point using Ryzen Master, and when you found the stable voltage on 4.5GHz all core, apply the core voltage value into bios, and enjoy :D

Thanks your reply is highly detailed in which i shall study it.

Thanks your reply is highly detailed in which i shall study it.
Also maybe at some point, using the same settings on Ryzen Master would act differently on Bios, much said that if Ryzen Master OC settings is ok but you want to do lower voltage, oc on the bios is much stable, it should be applied as the stablest point if you already find the stablest point using Ryzen Master.

Its a trial and error, maybe you'll win the silicon lottery by achieving 4.5ghz on lower volts :tearsofjoy:.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I primarily use my 5950X for Handbrake BD and 4K encoding - this is multi-thread, compute intensive work that will run for hours at 70%-90%+ CPU utilization.

PBO is ineffective and runs hot. I've settled on disabling all PBO and setting an all-core OC at 4.525GHz with a maximum voltage of 1.28v and average (over several hours) of 1.20v.

This is on an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII formula. I don't know that my CPU is unique (I'm never lucky), I do know that X570 defaults seem to throw voltages all over the place so setting fixed/offset voltages can have benefits.

FWIW - I'm 67...