I need serious help... Computer sturgguling..

kalimana

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I will firstly start by saying that it's gonna be a long one and I am sorry for that but I really need a hand and will Appreciate all sort of help!

Hello there smart people. So before 3 days I've built my first gaming pc and i am so happy with it! It's nothing that special but it works for me to play the games I love. And the first thing I did was to download Paladins ( because it's one of my favorite games^^) and it run amazingly well. with 150fps non-stop. And so yesterday too. But.... Today ....oh my lord..... It was a WHOLE different story from yesterday..... Firstly the windows was non-stop updating it self and was so frustrating to watch this 1hour along but w/e. Then after it finished updating I went in paladins and it was UNPLAYABLE... I mean legit, like i was playing it on a touster from my grandma's age.. It was struggling so hard to keep it up in the 40 fps that it finally almost crashed... And from yesterday till now I did nothing exempt playing that game. And my windows is updating all day along non-stop.. My computer is getting like slower and slower by every update it does (I am using windows 7 professional).
And so then I decided to check it out with msi afterburner to see the GPU,CPU,RAM usage and when I did that, everything was alright but I saw that the GPU was almost aways at 2-3% usage even in moments to 0. I know that paladins is a cpu intensive game, but in the past days it was like aways on 40-50%... And no , I did not overclock my GPU. .. That's it guys... Thank you for your time!

Solution
Windows updates have messed with drivers/settings in the past. As you're experiencing a profound drop in performance I'd guess you might be one of the few this has happened to. Re-install the latest drivers for your gpu and see how that goes.

kalimana

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017

Hello mandy. I updated them yesterday so does it really need to do it agian ? In the past when the windows was updating it self there was no need to update the gpu drivers alongside with it. Do I need to do it now ?

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Windows updates have messed with drivers/settings in the past. As you're experiencing a profound drop in performance I'd guess you might be one of the few this has happened to. Re-install the latest drivers for your gpu and see how that goes.

Solution

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I don't use windows 7 anymore cause to slow of an OS for my liking. Though I'd would try a gpu driver reinstall or use custom when about to do so and check the box that says "clean install" (something along those lines) just to be sure. I always do clean reinstall of my gpu drivers after windows update.
Another I had before with windows 7 (ultimate in my case) Did this update install kb2952664?
If so remove it, if that is not an option recover back to before the update and disable auto updates.