[SOLVED] I need some clarification on cpu upgrading.

WanderMoon

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
I browsed for awhile, so if you have link to thread answering my question by all means link it, but I only have so much time on my hands.

Anyway I'm trying to upgrade cpu, but getting a little confused.

Cpu socket is P (478) v
Motherboard chipset is GL40

I have a T4300 in my laptop currently. I tried purchasing a T9500, cause I read on another thread some guy upgraded his laptop with same chipset successfully to T9500. I upgraded bios to the latest x64 without any issues as well as upgraded windows 7 to x64 from 32bit, but the cpu didnt work.

Looking back,
Everything looked like it matched up good except this.

10wqpfm.png

Do I just need to match up a cpu that is both socket p and 478

so can I use any of these
http://asusk50idx1unleashed.blogspot.com/2010/07/socket-p-478-cpu-upgrade-list.html
or do I need to match the fsb and other specs as well.

Solution
Those cpus are socket p and are not any other socket. Socket p is socket p and is not any other socket. It has 478 pins and there are other sockets with 478 pins but they are not the same. Stay away from cpuboss, it's utterly useless and misleading. Just because a cpu is the same socket does not mean the laptop bios will be compatible. Same chipset won't help. Unfortunately you won't find cpu support lists for laptops like you do with desktops and the upgrade process is typically googling what others have done with that laptop or just try and see. You're best bet would be from the same family but it's not even worth it.
Those cpus are socket p and are not any other socket. Socket p is socket p and is not any other socket. It has 478 pins and there are other sockets with 478 pins but they are not the same. Stay away from cpuboss, it's utterly useless and misleading. Just because a cpu is the same socket does not mean the laptop bios will be compatible. Same chipset won't help. Unfortunately you won't find cpu support lists for laptops like you do with desktops and the upgrade process is typically googling what others have done with that laptop or just try and see. You're best bet would be from the same family but it's not even worth it.

Solution