[SOLVED] I need some help on upgrading the power supply in a HP H8 Series Desktop PC

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Okay... I have had bad experiences in the past buying power supplies for desktop computers to upgrade them in these pre-built systems. Twice I have bought the recommended by HP themselves upgrade power supply from Newegg, only to have it be incompatible with the motherboard in the machine and literally fry it dead.

Can anyone recommend a 600 watt to 750 watt power supply that would fit into the chassis in question here? If you need a picture of the inside of the PC in question, I can attach that to this post.

In fact... I think I will. Give me a few minutes, I have to disassemble the PC in order to get a picture of the insides.

I would ask in the HP users forum.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/
I know in some of theiir workstations they added 2x12V. wires to the 24 pin cable instead of having an 8 pin CPU connector.
Usually there is an adapter available to solve these problems. So I can believe what you're saying.
On the other hand my experience with Dells is their PSUs are actually very good parts. HP is probably the same way. They're building for a market where service contracts, extended warrantees are the norm. UL fire safety rating is another expectation.
What sre you looking for from the "upgrade".

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I would ask in the HP users forum.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/
I know in some of theiir workstations they added 2x12V. wires to the 24 pin cable instead of having an 8 pin CPU connector.
Usually there is an adapter available to solve these problems. So I can believe what you're saying.
On the other hand my experience with Dells is their PSUs are actually very good parts. HP is probably the same way. They're building for a market where service contracts, extended warrantees are the norm. UL fire safety rating is another expectation.
What sre you looking for from the "upgrade".

I have a machine with a pretty good processor in it but the graphics card royally sucks... it is one of those el-cheapo 30 dollar AMD cards that are just enough to get the computer running and I am planning on replacing it with a much beefier graphics card like an nVidia RTX card.

I have not decided exactly which card between the 2060, 2070 and 2080 RTX I am going to get however.

The power supply is the real bottleneck: It is only a 300 watt one and I know that won't suffice for the card I am thinking of getting.

I have a machine with a pretty good processor in it but the graphics card royally sucks... it is one of those el-cheapo 30 dollar AMD cards that are just enough to get the computer running and I am planning on replacing it with a much beefier graphics card like an nVidia RTX card.

I have not decided exactly which card between the 2060, 2070 and 2080 RTX I am going to get however.

The power supply is the real bottleneck: It is only a 300 watt one and I know that won't suffice for the card I am thinking of getting.

Which HP is it specifically? Maybe that's where you're running into a problem. "H8 Series" is just that... a "series".

If you can find someone familiar with HP they can probably tell you exactly what you need from another HP system. if you can find a single CPU workstation with a similar CPU they usually offer a 2x GPU option and have a more powerful PSU.
You might run your system a userbenchmark.com and see what other users of that system are running. If there are a lot of others running those GPUs then you know there is a solution. If there are almost none you may be on your own.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
TMI.

So, it looks like the size and shape of a standard ATX PSU: https://in.pcmag.com/desktop/38828/hp-pavilion-elite-h8-1010

But see those two screws to the right? They're not in the right place.
Am i wrong or does that do look the same? It's just at the top of the case not at the bottom like in the next picture,

blog_how-to-build-a-pc-psu-fans-and-cable-routing-Content-5.jpg

comes from Corsair,
Corsair

Not that it wouldn't be a good idea to get a better case as well.