[SOLVED] I need some help with a memory leak. (I think)

MikeSch

Prominent
Aug 20, 2019
I recently build my new pc and haven't noticed anything wrong about it untill today, when i found out my memory usage is slowly increasing overtime. I need some help asap. I'm not sure what to try.

Solution
A mem leak would be a software issue 99% of the time, a faulty driver .5% of the time, and something else .5% of the time. Since it's your v-ram and not your ddr that's getting overloaded I would lean towards malware or driver issues.
I would first look into fortnight forums to see if the v-leak is being caused by a recent update. Then I would do a clean driver re install(directions can be found in a sticky on the forum under GPUs.
You could try turning down your video settings for the game to a lower resolution as well. 8gb should be well more than enough to handle the game, but maybe your GPU is faulty as well. Are you running any other apps alongside the game?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
A mem leak would be a software issue 99% of the time, a faulty driver .5% of the time, and something else .5% of the time. Since it's your v-ram and not your ddr that's getting overloaded I would lean towards malware or driver issues.
I would first look into fortnight forums to see if the v-leak is being caused by a recent update. Then I would do a clean driver re install(directions can be found in a sticky on the forum under GPUs.
You could try turning down your video settings for the game to a lower resolution as well. 8gb should be well more than enough to handle the game, but maybe your GPU is faulty as well. Are you running any other apps alongside the game?

Solution

MikeSch

Prominent
Aug 20, 2019

oh nevermind, sorry. I meant virtual memory not video memory sorry. I don't run any other apps other than the game itself while playing

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
oh nevermind, sorry. I meant virtual memory not video memory sorry. I don't run any other apps other than the game itself while playing
In this case I would strongly lean towards driver issues/malware/background apps. It actually does sound like a mem leak to me. You could try deleting your internet cookies and temporary internet files as one of them might be invasive and trying to suck up your RAM usage.

MikeSch

Prominent
Aug 20, 2019
In this case I would strongly lean towards driver issues/malware/background apps. It actually does sound like a mem leak to me. You could try deleting your internet cookies and temporary internet files as one of them might be invasive and trying to suck up your RAM usage.
Could a driver issue cause every servicehost program to use this much memory??!

MikeSch

Prominent
Aug 20, 2019
Indeed it can, especially if it is a SVhost across all boards. That means everything trying to use the driver would have the issue, since they are all trying to use a(the same) faulty driver.
Oh ok, thanks. I just ran a malwarebytes scan, indeed there were malicious files on my pc, going to restart now and see what happens

forgot to post lol.
the malware scan and cleaning fixed the issue I think. Thanks for your time, the mem usage is sitting at a stable 20% after playing the game and closing it again.

Reactions: bryanc723