I need some opinions on a PC

Feb 27, 2014
I need help on a PC that I'm (hopefully) going to build. I'm a first time part buyer, who is now attempting to build my own PC. Simply put, I'd like to know if I've missed anything out of the build that is needed and I've also got some questions. Please, keep in mind that I've never attempted to build a PC before, and I'm not that knowledgeable about parts. I've only ever bought pre-built computers, so this will hopefully be a nice learning experience as well.

I'm thinking of getting an i7 Processor, with the preference being the 3770k. This PC will be used for gaming as well, so I'm thinking of going with a GTX 770. I want two 1tb Hard-drives, but to my understanding, it's not as important for a brand as it is with other parts? Would it be best to go with the popular brands like Western Digital and Seagate, or is there something else that I'm not aware of?

Now to the tricky part. I have no idea about what motherboard to get, nor do I know what Power Supply Unit is needed. I've heard that Power Supply Units can make your system fail if you get one that's less than your system parts, so I feel that's a bit scary :ouch:

Another thing that I'm curious about is concerning the chasis/case. How do you know if your parts will fit in the case? And do you have to get a certain optical drive for it to be compatible?

Are there any things that I'm missing that I'd need to get (not things that are optional, like an ssd), and do I have to use an anti-static wrist band, or can you do it as long as you're grounded?

I'm pretty comfortable with RAM, and I have a monitor and mouse which I'm very happy with, but it'd be nice if I can have some help with the things I've mentioned, as it's a pretty scary task to drop £1000 (Roughly 1600 dollars) on something that you're not familiar with.

Thanks again!

with the cpu look to buy the 4670k or the 4770k. the older 3770k is a dead slot. it fine now but if you want a rig and be able to upgrade it latter the newer 1150 mb would be needed. with intel there two main chipsets used for gaming rigs. the h chipset that used for the fixed cpu if your not going to over clock or sli or crossfire. if you go with asus h87 mb you could use the cosair r200 case for small size and cosair or seasonic power supply. with power supplys if you go with a haswell cpu and mb look that there tested for intel c6/c7 low power. the cosair cx line and few other line are not haswell aproved.
with cases if you look at the r200 case it made for tall cpu heat sinks and long video cards. the hard drive trays can come out if needed. most good case vendor for gaming pc put max gpu length and cpu heat sink height in there spec.
with motherboard the asus and asrock used for a lot of gaming rigs. msi mb people fine are a little thin and flex a lot.
cd roms now are standard size.. most cases now they slide in a lock. there two main drives now the dvd writers that are 20.00 they read and write cd and dvd disks but cant read or write blue ray. the 40-100 blue ray drives will read and write blue ray and the smaller sized disks. with hard drives dont buy two one gig drives you waste a sata port.
for the money your better off with one 2tb drive and a 120g boot ssd. as long as your not on carpet you dont need the strap...just make sure you touch the case first to make sure you ground yourself out before touching the ram or cpu.

Use the latest tech . Its better

Intel 4670K processor
Motherboard with a Z87 chipset . ATX
2 x4 gig of 1600 MHz RAM rated for 1.5 volts or less
120 gig SSD
1 terabyte hard drive
cheap dvd drive
GTX 760 , GTX 770 , Radeon R9 280x depending on how the budget is holding up
Gaming case . Antec 1100 , 302 . or anything you like the look of really so long as its ATX
80+ bronze or better psu sized using http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Win 8 or 8.1 64 bit