[SOLVED] I need some tech advice from my fellow pc players

Feb 3, 2020
My tech knowledge is above the average consumer, but I know there are people here that know way more than me. So here's my issue with my new computer. Games like BF5, SWBF2, Overwatch, RDR2 will crap out after 3-50min of play. If the play time is longer usually what happens is a noise in the game will start repeating, I will get a black screen, and sometimes it will freeze and force me to reboot by using the power switch. Other times it will restart itself, and sometimes it will just quit out the game and bring me back to the desktop. I have reinstalled (clean) the video drivers a few times and still the same issue. I checked all the cable connections and reseated the ram. Windows is fully up to date (checked manually). I even rolled back the driver to an older one and that seemed to clear the problem for most games, but Overwatch would (after 40 or so minutes of play) start to loose frames (just a little) then I would get a weird high buzz sound screen to black and the game would crash. I've got different error messages with the different versions of the graphics driver. The latest error message: DirectX function “GetDeviceRemovedReason” failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG (“The device is hung which is typically caused by issues in the graphics driver or alternatively the application”). GPU: “AMD Radeon RX 5700XT” , Driver: 26.20.15015.1007 1/16/2020 7:00:00 PM. I think it happened playing bf5 after a few minutes (bf4 also crashes). Here is my setup:

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 3.6GHZ
CORSAIR 8GB DDR4-3000 VENGEANCE LPX
GIGABYTE X570 UD ATX
THERMALTAKE 600WATT GOLD 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY
AMD RADEON RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6

and all games that give me an option i am running directx 11
thanks for any help/advice in advance

Solution
5700Xt 's often crashes at stock settings.
AMD was too greedy with the frequency.

underclock it a little.
i have a 5700xt too. mine is watercooled and OC'd but i just opened radeon settings and set some settings that should work for you :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UoV0Mtt5qk7kRRg_ZTnnUnjt-9-wPdkQ/view?usp=sharing

just set the frequency and voltage and power limit the same way as i did
so it's like :
go into the performance panel -> settings
frequency : 2000 ish
voltage : 1085
power limit : -10%

if your games crashes again, set voltage to 1100 and/or frequency to something like 1950-1975
you can use a benchmark like gpu-z rendering to confirm everything is stable.

when everything is confirmed stable, return to the...
Feb 3, 2020
  1. CPU/ GPU heat.. are either one running hot before you get the error message?
  2. Have you updated tot he latest GPU and DX drivers?

1. Not sure, i want to say the gpu is running hot but again not 100%. I havent checked. Can you recommend a program to check the temps?

2. GPU and DX are the latest as of 2/2/2020

Feb 3, 2020
Radeon Overlay if installed "Alt + R " then once configured you can just use the monitoring tool "Crtl + Shift + 0"

-MSI AfterBurner and use its overlay

-HWMonitor

thanks. I will try that. I will also be contacting the manufacture of the system, since it shouldnt be crashing this much so soon after purchase.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019

underclock it a little.
i have a 5700xt too. mine is watercooled and OC'd but i just opened radeon settings and set some settings that should work for you :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UoV0Mtt5qk7kRRg_ZTnnUnjt-9-wPdkQ/view?usp=sharing

so it's like :

if your games crashes again, set voltage to 1100 and/or frequency to something like 1950-1975
you can use a benchmark like gpu-z rendering to confirm everything is stable.

when everything is confirmed stable, return to the performance tab, and overclock the memory to something like 1850 Mhz.
You will get back all the performance loss from the GPU underclock !
test the memory OC with other benchmark or games.

on the screenshot, fan control is disabled since im watercooling. don't touch your fan settings unless you know what you are doing

Also, i think it's a good idea to activate "radeon chill" if you monitor is 60hz like mine.
"chill" limits the FPS to a setting you define
they are a low and a high setting : low setting is applied in fixed or slow movement
high setting is applied in fast paced action

I activated also the new radeon sharpening option, it looks REALLLY good

here are my settings :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSQwNqA9WBoQ8TvZEg9tNMIFsLa3ui_L/view?usp=sharing

With those quick settings, your card will be much more stable and cooler. and quiet !

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 3, 2020

underclock it a little.

so it's like :

when everything is confirmed stable, return to the performance tab, and overclock the memory to something like 1850 Mhz.
You will get back all the performance loss from the GPU underclock !

on the screenshot, fan control is disabled since im watercooling. don't touch your fan settings unless you know what you are doing

Also, i think it's a good idea to activate "radeon chill" if you monitor is 60hz like mine.
"chill" limits the FPS to a setting you define
they are a low and a high setting : low setting is applied in fixed or slow movement
high setting is applied in fast paced action

I activated also the new radeon sharpening option, it looks REALLLY good

here are my settings :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSQwNqA9WBoQ8TvZEg9tNMIFsLa3ui_L/view?usp=sharing

With those quick settings, your card will be much more stable and cooler. and quiet !

I will give this a shot, thanks for the info. My monitor is a 144hz monitor

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
One other thing to consider: What's the exact model of that Thermaltake PSU, and how old is it?

From the link in my sig:
In MY opinion, Cooler Master and Thermaltake should be completely avoided

They do have a few good units, like some of the Thermaltake Toughpower series models, but most of the models sold by both these companies are either REALLY poor or barely mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced.

So, I suppose it's possible that when demand is put on that PSU, it may be cutting out. I wouldn't say it for certain, but if you do happen to have (or can borrow) a known GOOD PSU, it couldn't hurt to try it out.

Reactions: zeetos

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Is there room in your desktop for at least one if not two more small fans? Reason for asking: I put two more fans in my desktop years ago, and although it was heard in the next room, all four fans (it came with two, I added two) kept the desktop cool . My solution is definitely old school, however, just a thought for ya . :)