I need the low-down on RAID arrays and RAID-like setups

somesuchguy

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Okay, so I'm interested in running a two or three drive RAID1 array in my machine because I'm sick of doing manual drive cloning using Macrium Reflect to not only constantly back up my sensitive data, but my Windows installation as well, which is thoroughly tinkered.

Yes, I am aware that RAID1 is not a backup solution, I have my data backed up elsewhere as well. I'm trying to both do backup and prevent downtime.

The two things I need to be able to do are:

1. Remove a drive from the RAID array and have it function properly outside the array - that is, it's not configured/written in such a way that it is inherently bound to the array and doesn't function properly when not connected to it; when I pull a drive out, I expect to be able to boot off of it, etc.

2. Rebuild RAID1 on the fly with a new drive if one goes down.

Now I know that I basically have three options (four if you count a NAS, but I'm not interested in that):

1. Storage Spaces - I hear performance is fairly abysmal, and not sure about how it configures the drives

2. Matrix/Motherboard RAID - I don't think this will satisfy my requirements

3. RAID Card - Expensive AF

What should I do, Tom?

Solution

I'll have to test it, but I'm pretty sure it can write to multiple sources at the same time.
I...

FireWire2

Distinguished
A lot of users did not aware of the feature of SMP394 and SPM393 from DATOptic, which I use 100's of them for my clients, including used as RAID5.

Most of my lawyer, CPA, Dentist office's backup I use SPM393 (cheaper) to provide redundantly and back up/cloning.

Here is the part that I used:
1x SPM 393-SI (internal SATA host connector)
4x HDD drives up any size up to 10TB each, most of my cases are 3~4TB
1x tray-less RACk from Kingwin, Newegg, DATOptic....

Here is the setup
Mounted SPM393 to PCI-SCSI bracket cutout
Connect SPM393-SI SATA host port to system SATA port - mostly for PC, where for newer Mac system, I used SPM393 (eSATA connection)
Connect 2x HDD to this SPM393
Third port connects to the SATA tray-less mobile rack
Lable the remain TWO HDD as ODD and EVEN, insert one of this HDD into the trayless
Use the RAID GUI or set the dial switch to CLONE mode create a RAID1 with 3 HDD

At the end of the day, HOT SWAP the HDD in the tray-less rack. The newly removed HDD is the latest BACKUP, take that out of the building.

Note: within 30second of swap out the HDD, the SPM393 will mirror the newly insert HDD, next morning it should be done

This solution will give you both latest back up at the end of the day and protected the system as it has a mirror raid

Some of my customers instead of using ODD/EVEN HDD, they are using five HDD and label as Monday to Friday

BTW this solution will work with OS HDD, including SSD

There is no drivers need for this solution, therefore, any HDD in this solution will be treated as a regular SATA drive simple plug into a SATA port and it's ready to use

USAFRet

Titan
"because I'm sick of doing manual drive cloning using Macrium Reflect to not only constantly back up my sensitive data, but my Windows installation as well, which is thoroughly tinkered. "

There is zero need for anything manual with Macrium.
You can put it on a schedule, and it runs however you set it up.

The free version does Full + Differential.
The paid version adds Incrementals

I have my systems set to do a rolling Incremental.
A full, and then 2 weeks of Incrementals.
Then all rolled into the next Full at the 14 day line.

And in the Macrium client, you can reach into any backup image, Full/Diff/Inc, and retrieve a single file.
You need the copy of your resume from last Thursday? No problem.
A RAID does not give you that functionality.

Any RAID application still needs an actual backup. And if you have that, and can suffer through 30 minutes of recovering a Macrium image...a RAID 1 is not really needed.

Read here for more info on my setup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

somesuchguy

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Pretty sure Reflect can't write to multiple sources at the same time, and I'd vastly prefer to not have resources eaten up when I'm using my machine. I also don't leave it on when it's not in use.

Just as a note of emphasis, my largest concern by far is dead drives rather than data corruption, hence why I'm on about RAID.

USAFRet

Titan

I'll have to test it, but I'm pretty sure it can write to multiple sources at the same time.
I could be wrong, though.

But, if a physical drive fail is your prime consideration...then a RAID 1 would seem to be in order.

Solution