Question I need thoughts on an upgrade, plz

HippoZoned

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
TL; DR - I have a 1060 3gb and I can buy the RX 590 + 3 free games (2 of them I don't have) for $219 or I can wait a few weeks and get a 1660 Ti for around $300 What would you guys do?

For those that want the full story.

Alright let's start off with my current card and what not.

Ryzen 1600
16 gb 3200mhz
1060 3gb - because at the time I purchased it for $175

Those are my current specs. I am seeing the effects of the GPU a lot sooner than I had expected, I'm not happy about it.

I think a huge reason is that I am a Streamer/Youtuber and I cannot stream full 1080p with 60fps without stuttering. But when I'm not streaming I can record/play with decent quality usually high/ultra. So unless something in my system is being bottlenecked maybe the CPU it's gotta be the GPU and I want to upgrade the GPU anyways.

Here is the deal, I can buy the RX 590 + 3 free games (RE2, Division 2 DMC5) for $219 or I can wait a few weeks and get a 1660 Ti for around $300.

Now about the free games I have 1 out of 3 but I wanted all 3 just haven't been able to buy all 3 and I don't know when I'd be able to buy the other two.

I have the division 2 so if possible I'd give away the free copy and this would generate traffic to my channel and streams. But the other 2 games I'd keep and play. So going with the 590 would seem like a no brainier for someone like me. However I have concerns.

1. The model I can get for 219 runs loud from what I hear from reviews and this is a concern for a streamer especially cause my yeti picks up all annoying crap. I could get rid of this with a VST filter but again just annoying

2. I don't want to upgrade this card and in another year or 2 have to freaking do it again.

3. The 1660 Ti is just a better card so I'd get longer lifetime out of it before needing to upgrade.

4. I already have a Nvidia card I'd really hate to have to wipe the graphics drivers and install the Amd ones.. I know how to do this and it may only take an hour if that but it's just quite annoying...

so I guess all that out of the why, what would you guys do?

WildCard999

Titan
I'd think you'd benefit more from a CPU upgrade then GPU upgrade since your streaming but with Ryzen 3rd gen coming out in a couple of months it should be worthwhile to wait. As for the GPU the 590 price wise seems like a better choice but for longevity I'd get the 1660 ti. Unfortunately Nvidia isn't giving away any games currently as that would make the choice much easier as even the 1660 performance is nearly identical to the RX 590.

What is the exact model of the RX 590 are you looking at?

HippoZoned

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I'd think you'd benefit more from a CPU upgrade then GPU upgrade since your streaming but with Ryzen 3rd gen coming out in a couple of months it should be worthwhile to wait. As for the GPU the 590 price wise seems like a better choice but for longevity I'd get the 1660 ti. Unfortunately Nvidia isn't giving away any games currently as that would make the choice much easier as even the 1660 performance is nearly identical to the RX 590.

What is the exact model of the RX 590 are you looking at?

XfX fatboy 8gb etc.. LoL... you think the ryzen 5 is my issue?

WildCard999

Titan
XfX fatboy 8gb etc.. LoL... you think the ryzen 5 is my issue?
It could be, depending on how many apps your running as well as gaming it could be the CPU however with the low vram on the 1060 3gb it could also be that. The stock cooler is good so either that or using a aftermarket solution I'd overclock your 1600 to like 3.9/4ghz which would help.

As for the GPU the Sapphire RX 590 SE quieter by a couple dBA and if in the US the price is the same as that XFX.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/Radeon_RX_590_Fatboy/31.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/Radeon_RX_590_Nitro_Plus/31.html

HippoZoned

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
It could be, depending on how many apps your running as well as gaming it could be the CPU however with the low vram on the 1060 3gb it could also be that. The stock cooler is good so either that or using a aftermarket solution I'd overclock your 1600 to like 3.9/4ghz which would help.

As for the GPU the Sapphire RX 590 SE quieter by a couple dBA and if in the US the price is the same as that XFX.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/Radeon_RX_590_Fatboy/31.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/Radeon_RX_590_Nitro_Plus/31.html

I do like Sapphire Cards my first card ever was sapphire lasted me about 3 years it did me well.

As for a few things I forgot to mention.

• CPU is OCd to 3.5ghz stable I could try to push it but I don't want to.
  • I only game at 1080p and I have no interest in upgrading to 1440p or higher as I can't afford it and I don't need to.
Honestly it seems it comes down to what I want to do. Do I want to upgrade to the 590 get the free games and deal with any issues or wait to get the 1660 ti and get no free games but know it will be simple to install and it will last...

Idk I have a few hours to decide. I will say I'm leaning towards the 590 and if anyone thinks this is a bad idea I'd love to hear your thoughts..

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
The CPU will handle a higher OC and with a decent aftermarket cooler such as the CM 212/Black it would stay cooler & quiet on a higher OC and would help with your multitasking. Just something to think about.

Also if your monitor supports Freesync that would be another bonus with the RX 590.