[SOLVED] I need to change my gpu please help!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 25, 2019
So i have been playing fortnite for some time and i am trying to make it in the competitive scene , But my computer is not that strong or modern so i have huge frame drops and pretty much really low fps to the point where the game is just unplayble , i have been told that i need to change my gpu but i dont have that much spare time to read every thing about them so please help me
Here are my specs :
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300 24 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2) 41 °C
Graphics
22EN33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 35 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA ) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24D5MT ATA Device
Audio
Συσκευή ήχου USB
My problem is that i have really low fps and frame drops and my bugdet is 250 - 300 euros , my monitor is 60hz and my power supply is an SL - 550 v2.2 i believe so

Solution
OP's mobo maxes out at 95W TDPs so some of the more obscure 95W FX 8xxx CPUs is the limit (ie FX8320E). I do agree with the notion though. It leaves enough budget for an RX570 at the very least. Also, the FX CPUs are pretty cheap on the used market. Those few extra cores probably won't increase your frame rates since they're no faster (even a tad slower) than the FX4300, but they may reduce the dips. That's the goal, just get rid of those dips. Depending on the cost of a drop-in CPU replacement, it may be a small cost for a small (but important) improvement.

It's just difficult to incur all the cost of new mobo, RAM, windows license(?) for a bottom-of-the-barrel Ryzen 1200 CPU and that wouldn't leave much/any room...
Aug 25, 2019
with your gpu u should be able to hit 80~100fps @ 1080p on low/mid settings.
dont expect high details...as u will need more than 2GB vram for it

so unluess u want to play on more details, u will need just to switch cpu/mobo (maybe ram if ull get ddr4 mobo)
i dont understund dude with my current specs i have like 80 fps for 2 seconds then it drops to like 30-40 and its soo laggy

Aug 25, 2019
with your gpu u should be able to hit 80~100fps @ 1080p on low/mid settings.
dont expect high details...as u will need more than 2GB vram for it

so unluess u want to play on more details, u will need just to switch cpu/mobo (maybe ram if ull get ddr4 mobo)
do you suggest i keep my gpu and i change my mobo and cpu and buy ddr4 ram ?

gpu is capable, cpu is holding it back
8GB ram should be minimum if u only play, once u run something in background (like few chrome web pages, streaming, etc) it may start to swap a bit so 16GB in this case
ssd could help u in open world games (as textures gets streamed from drive to gpu), that will reduce fps drops (stuttering) when u moving around

that ryzen 3 1200 from few posts above is cheap and should be up to that 100+fps task
mybe b450 mainboard would be overkill for this cpu, but atleast u wont need to change board once u want to raplace better cpu (few years later)

Aug 25, 2019
gpu is capable, cpu is holding it back
8GB ram should be minimum if u only play, once u run something in background (like few chrome web pages, streaming, etc) it may start to swap a bit so 16GB in this case
ssd could help u in open world games (as textures gets streamed from drive to gpu), that will reduce fps drops (stuttering) when u moving around

that ryzen 3 1200 from few posts above is cheap and should be up to that 100+fps task
mybe b450 mainboard would be overkill for this cpu, but atleast u wont need to change board once u want to raplace better cpu (few years later)
oke so you suggest i get an ssd and a better cpu right?and can you explain further about the motherboard . do i need to change mine or no ? edit ( thecpu is 50 euro on skroutz so i guess can you suggest me an ssd , cpu and maybe something more like psu or gpu that could make things even better 80-100fps ,keeping on mind that my budget is 300 euros

if u change cpu, then u will need to change mainboard, coz that cpu has am4 socket, and am4 mainboards runs on dd4, so ddr4 will be required

from few posts above:
just change ram to 2x8GB kit
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/10985105/G-Skill-TridentZ-RGB-16GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16D-16GTZR.html

it should be around 250 euros
and u should be able to play 1080p low~mid @100fps

which leaves u with few euros left
if u manage to sell your old hardware, u can later replace gpu to have some more graphic details

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
if u change cpu, then u will need to change mainboard, coz that cpu has am4 socket, and am4 mainboards runs on dd4, so ddr4 will be required

from few posts above
oke am kinda confused , i need a new motherboard ( please suggest me on from skroutz ) i need a new cpu ( also suggest me one pls ) and i guess a new set of ram lets say 16gb ( as well if u can find a good one on skroutz ) please find them on skroutz if possible so i will know how much money i will spend for them and if it is under budget we can maybe find a maybe gpu / psu or if not take an even better cpu

Aug 25, 2019
sure, just edited my post above
if i do this does that guarantee me 80-100 stable fps? i will be running the default res and all settings low with no apps runinng and background apps turned off ( i dont really care if i have like 80 or 100 fps as long as its something between them and the most important is to be stable cause in games where there are lot of pp really close to each other ( pro scrims) fps drops are hugeeee

OP's mobo maxes out at 95W TDPs so some of the more obscure 95W FX 8xxx CPUs is the limit (ie FX8320E). I do agree with the notion though. It leaves enough budget for an RX570 at the very least. Also, the FX CPUs are pretty cheap on the used market. Those few extra cores probably won't increase your frame rates since they're no faster (even a tad slower) than the FX4300, but they may reduce the dips. That's the goal, just get rid of those dips. Depending on the cost of a drop-in CPU replacement, it may be a small cost for a small (but important) improvement.

It's just difficult to incur all the cost of new mobo, RAM, windows license(?) for a bottom-of-the-barrel Ryzen 1200 CPU and that wouldn't leave much/any room left for a decent GPU with the tight budget.

The other option is OCing the piss out of the FX4300 for the time-being (looks like 20% OC is do-able without going crazy), get the RX570 and maybe new PSU (what brand is your "SL 550W v2.2?) which is CAPABLE of high FPS at 1080p, and start saving for that CPU upgrade in the near future.

Also, here's some benchmarks at 1080p HIGH QUALITY settings with an i7-8700K. For reference, a R9-270X is approximately equal to an RX560.
1080p.png

An RX570 would be POTENTIALLY 70% faster than your current GPU (current FPS X 1.7) IF/WHEN you get rid of your CPU limitation.

Last edited:
Solution

It's just difficult to incur all the cost of new mobo, RAM, windows license(?) for a bottom-of-the-barrel Ryzen 1200 CPU and that wouldn't leave much/any room left for a decent GPU with the tight budget.

The other option is OCing the piss out of the FX4300 for the time-being (looks like 20% OC is do-able without going crazy), get the RX570 and maybe new PSU (what brand is your "SL 550W v2.2?) which is CAPABLE of high FPS at 1080p, and start saving for that CPU upgrade in the near future.

Also, here's some benchmarks at 1080p HIGH QUALITY settings with an i7-8700K. For reference, a R9-270X is approximately equal to an RX560.
1080p.png

An RX570 would be POTENTIALLY 70% faster than your current GPU (current FPS X 1.7) IF/WHEN you get rid of your CPU limitation.
thats on high settings, why would anybody sane run 2GB vram card on high settings? no wonder u see 70% improvement...low/mid settings are below 2GB vram

as for fx 4300 overclocking...theres not much room space

well op will preferably need 6 core cpu atleast (as cpu usage is 50~80% on 8 core cpu, but they are over budget and fx6300 has even lower clock than 4300 which wil make things worse

i3 9100f (4core 100eur) has like 80% performance increase over fx-4300
r3 1200 is by 25% slower then i3 9100f but costs 50% less
once overclocked (both i3 and r3) berformance diff is just around 10%

Diddly

Distinguished
your cpu is really crap/old - no two words about it. You need to replace it with something better like a i5-9400. or better. My old i5-2500k which is 8 years old pounds the AMD FX-4300 into the dust. As for graphics something like a 2060 or similar would be fine and a 550W PSU is fine too. Doesn't have to be super duper for 1080p. you have a lot of choice right now for upgrading - it's a really good time to do it and prices are falling on some components like RAM.

thats on high settings, why would anybody sane run 2GB vram card on high settings? no wonder u see 70% improvement...low/mid settings are below 2GB vram
I didn't run the benchmarks (everyone is infatuated with benchmarking at max settings). If you can find a GPU comparison that encompasses the OP's GPU (or equivalent) and the RX570 @ 1080p low settings into a single comparable table, be my guest, but low settings are much more CPU-heavy, so you may not get as good of a comparison between the actual potential of the GPUs if the CPU starts getting in the way of limiting FPS.

The RX560 IS comparable to the R9-270X and the RX570 is definitely 60-70% faster, so regardless of what resolution or settings you're playing, that's the difference. That's all I was trying to show.

The CPU is going to limit how high FPS the OP can get out of any GPU, hence why I've been making sure to say "potential".