[SOLVED] I need to connect a mac mini and a mac g5 to one mac monitor, can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403065

if im thinking of it correctly that should do the trick. plug the display into the front dvi, then g5 and mini into the other two ports and you can press a button to select which one you want to use at the time. Look into it a little more and see if itll meet your needs but i believe that should work for you.

edit: there are cheaper ones, but make sure that you find one that supports 1920x1200

keithgb

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
The G5 is a pretty old 2002 model, so it has a multi pin screw-in connection, which fits with the monitor connector. But the mini is a 2010 model with a small connection. I have an adaptor for it so I can connect each computer separately to the 23' mac monitor. But i'd like to have both permanently connected so I could just use one at a time with the same monitor.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I had a G5 at one time, i assume that the cable youre (the multi pin screw-in connection) is a dvi, and the mini has a mini display port? maybe pictures would help.

I assume youre trying to have both physically plugged into the monitor at the same time so you can just change sources on the monitor rather than unscrewing one and plugging the other in?

can you take a picture of the back of the monitor where the inputs are or even just send a link with a product description/images of the monitor?

keithgb

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
The monitor (Apple Cinema Display 23") has a cord that is permanently attached, it splits into a dvi, a usb and a firewire (400 probably) which is always plugged into the g5. The mac mini has a mini dvi connection, and I have a female DVI to mini DVI connector that works fine with the monitor. Bt as you noted I do want to use each computer alone without disconnecting and reconnecting everything. Am I the only one who has this problem? The display is great, I'd like to keep it rather than buy a new one with newer connections.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403065

if im thinking of it correctly that should do the trick. plug the display into the front dvi, then g5 and mini into the other two ports and you can press a button to select which one you want to use at the time. Look into it a little more and see if itll meet your needs but i believe that should work for you.

edit: there are cheaper ones, but make sure that you find one that supports 1920x1200

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.