[SOLVED] I need to delete HP Printer drivers that are always in use

morlaine

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I have an HP 64-bit laptop, running Windows 10 Home, 12gb memory, 2T hard drive.
I also have an HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2545 All-in-One printer that worked fine up until a couple of months ago. I didn't add or delete any software to the laptop and nothing else happened that should have affected its operation.
The first problem was that it would not connect to my wireless network, although it had before and worked fine for months. Then there was a power outage for line maintenance during a time when I wasn't home. There have been outages before that never caused problems, so I don't think it was that.

I finally got it to work and then it started feeding blank pages of paper continually even though there was nothing in the print queue.
I worked through every suggestion given me at the HP support forum website including spending almost 6 hours deleting every reference to that printer out of the Registry and reinstalled all the drivers they said to use and finally got it to print. However, when I looked in printers and devices in the control panel, it showed that I have the 2540 series printer, which is what I wanted, and I also have a 2540 Web Service Printer. I'm not even sure what a Web Service Printer is. When I try to print to the 2540 series printer, it gives me a printer error and doesn't print. Of course, it doesn't tell me what kind of print error and the printer doesn't have a display screen but none of the lights are flashing.

It will print when I direct the document to the 2540 Web Service Printer. However, it will not scan and I have documents that I need to scan. I'm using Corel 2019 to do the scanning and have used it a lot in the past with no problems. It says it does not find a scanner.

So I got info from the HP site on how to completely delete the printer so i could reinstall it. The last thing was to delete the printer driver but it always says it's in use. And everything they've told me since, about stopping the printer spooler and deleting the driver when the spooler is restarting, doesn't work. There were a few other suggestion about restarting in Diagnostic Mode and that didn't work. Nothing seems to allow me to do this.

So to make a very long story short, I have tried every suggestion I could find on the internet on how to delete print drivers that won't delete and nothing has worked. I did see on one screen where the 2540 series printer was assigned to port LPT1. I was wondering if maybe the LPT1 port is preventing the driver from being deleted. Can I delete that LPT1 without it adversely affecting the operation of my laptop? And would that release the driver? And then could I re-add the LPT1 port, or do I even need it?

As you can probably tell, I'm not very techie so doing all this stuff and wondering how bad I'm going to screw up my computer and maybe end up not having internet access because of something I do, scares the hell out of me.

This printer thing that has been going on for a couple of months now, is making me crazy. It's like Whack-a-Mole. As soon as one thing seems fixed, another problem pops up. I sure hope someone out there has some ideas that will help me.

Solution
close all applications and close any item in the taskbar (right bottom, like Corel app or similar, right click on the icon and choose close)

Use the diagnosis tool from HP:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...l-in-One-Printer-series/5285095/model/5285096

reinstall the "HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers" from this page

install Eprint software for using it wirelessly

if this doesn´t help, remove the printer from the laptop.
Restart windows
Delete all printers within windows "printers and scanners". https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Printers-and-scanners.jpg (click left on the printer and then delete)
Uninstall...
close all applications and close any item in the taskbar (right bottom, like Corel app or similar, right click on the icon and choose close)

Use the diagnosis tool from HP:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...l-in-One-Printer-series/5285095/model/5285096

reinstall the "HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers" from this page

install Eprint software for using it wirelessly

if this doesn´t help, remove the printer from the laptop.
Restart windows
Delete all printers within windows "printers and scanners". https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Printers-and-scanners.jpg (click left on the printer and then delete)
Uninstall the HP software via apps and features.

Restart windows
reinstall the software from the support homepage and plug in the printer

if all doesn´t work out

Solution

TRENDING THREADS