Question I need to install a Wi-Fi module/antenna, and need insight on what to get.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I have an HP ProDesk 400 G5 MT with an i5-8000 running Windows 10 Pro. It does not have a Wi-Fi module installed. I bought it and was using it wired only as a computer with dual NICs for security cameras (IP cameras isolated) , but I want to repurpose it and use it via Wi-Fi as a personal computer for office work (QuickBooks) and work web browsing.

Do I have to choose a specific type or brand to work with this HP? Can I install a module with the latest Wi-Fi standards?

Can I use the stock type antenna with any Module? So maybe I buy just the stock antennas and the module of my choice? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I found a YouTube where they explain how the two antennas are run on the Mini Tower (MT). This PC has never had the module or antennas
View: https://youtu.be/bBZqMoysHGw

Last edited:
This will take some detailed research and I am not willing to watch lots of video for you.

So if the computer has antenna already they should work with other modules. You might need a special kit if it does not have antenna installed....but it will likely be cheaper to use the kits that install in a standard rear slot cover.

The module is where it gets tricky. In most cases HP no longer bios locks you to there equipment. Computer designed for corporate use tend to be the ones that had that issue.

Even if it is not bios locked you have a couple other issues. I suspect your machine has a standard m.2 type "e" slot but you need to check. The next issue is if the machine uses CNVIO. What they did was move part of the support onto the chipset rather than the module. If you can get the default part number that HP uses you likely can tell. I am not sure if you can put a standard wifi module into a cnvio slot.....it will physically fit so that will not help to determine.

In any case your best option is likely a intel AX210 which supports wifi6e. The cost is about the same as cards that do not support wifi6e so you might as well get the latest. BUT be sure to check the CNVIO thing, you can get AX211 which supports CNVIO if you need.

Reactions: g725s

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
This will take some detailed research and I am not willing to watch lots of video for you.

So if the computer has antenna already they should work with other modules. You might need a special kit if it does not have antenna installed....but it will likely be cheaper to use the kits that install in a standard rear slot cover.

The module is where it gets tricky. In most cases HP no longer bios locks you to there equipment. Computer designed for corporate use tend to be the ones that had that issue.

Even if it is not bios locked you have a couple other issues. I suspect your machine has a standard m.2 type "e" slot but you need to check. The next issue is if the machine uses CNVIO. What they did was move part of the support onto the chipset rather than the module. If you can get the default part number that HP uses you likely can tell. I am not sure if you can put a standard wifi module into a cnvio slot.....it will physically fit so that will not help to determine.

In any case your best option is likely a intel AX210 which supports wifi6e. The cost is about the same as cards that do not support wifi6e so you might as well get the latest. BUT be sure to check the CNVIO thing, you can get AX211 which supports CNVIO if you need.
Yes m.2 slot. Antenna were not installed, so I would either have to get OEM antennas or go with the rear slot antenna. I will look into the CNVIO thing. Thanks. And yes, If I can I would like a setup that can support WiFi6e down the road if I go that route.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
ax210 is wifi6e and is fairly old driver wise so it is stable and costs about the same as any other brand.
A search for "prodesk 400 g5 CNVIO" on the top of the list, brought up this post on the HP forums, which seems to infer that non-Vpro best. But the ones recommended and linked in the forum post below are not available.

Last edited:
Those are older models and since the newer cards cost the same nobody likely buys the older ones.
That post is kinda confusing. The intel card is a CNVIO but the other realtek cards are not.
I am going to bet a ax210 will work if those realtek cards work. If not you would buy a ax211 but I would try the ax210 first they are not real expensive and if you are really concerned buy from someone that will take returns.

I think but I can not find any confirmation that you can put a ax210 in either type of slot but the ax211 will only work on motherboards that have cnvio. I see no real advantage to the ones that are cnvio, its not like the wifi card is cheaper because it has less parts on it.

Reactions: g725s

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Those are older models and since the newer cards cost the same nobody likely buys the older ones.
That post is kinda confusing. The intel card is a CNVIO but the other realtek cards are not.
I am going to bet a ax210 will work if those realtek cards work. If not you would buy a ax211 but I would try the ax210 first they are not real expensive and if you are really concerned buy from someone that will take returns.

I think but I can not find any confirmation that you can put a ax210 in either type of slot but the ax211 will only work on motherboards that have cnvio. I see no real advantage to the ones that are cnvio, its not like the wifi card is cheaper because it has less parts on it.
thanks for the input, as I'm not up on this stuff these days. I will get the ax210. I'm just doing basic office stuff and occasional downloading of large files. And currently only have 5G from my very old RT-AC68R that I've had for years running Merlin and currently don't see a great reason to upgrade, but then again I'm not up on all the latest wifi these days.

Still haven't found any info if the motherboard has CNVIO...
only these modules are listed at the this site
Intel 9560 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi with Bluetooth M.2 Combo Card non-VPro
Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 Combo Card
Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 Combo Card

Last edited:

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Update:

I went with an AX210 card as suggested.. It worked from startup and downloaded an Intel Network and Bluetooth update.

I went with this one from Amazon...
"10Dbi Antenna Wi-Fi 6E AX210 Bluetooth 5.3 5374Mbps 2.4Ghz 5Ghz 6Ghz 802.11ax/ac M.2 2230 Key E Desktop Kit Wireless Adapter AX210NGW Windows 10/11"