Question I need to phisically push my GPU for it to work

Yakifuji

Commendable
May 3, 2020
When I plug it and turn the PC on, it boots without video. But if I keep pushing my GPU down when I start the computer, the fan starts to spin and I have to hold it with some strength until the PC boots. When It boots, I can release it and it will work normally. What the hell is that? I've never saw that before and it doesn't seems healthy. I've tried the GPU in a new motherboard and it didn't work, I haven't tried that strange technique because the motherboard is new. What can that be? I have also tried to boot in another PCI-E slot and the same problem happens.

Edit: I don't push it into the slot, I push so the GPU is diagonally down, that's the only way it gets the energy to work.

Last edited:
In the motherboard? I've tried another mother board and another pci-e slot and didn't work. I had to do the same push

I misread your original post. Still, that you have to press down on the GPU would imply that an electrical connection is broken. Start by checking the gold fingers that insert into the PCI slot and look for any damage. Bear in mind, here, that some of those gold fingers are shorter than others on purpose. Just look for other signs of damage, like scratches or heavy discoloration.

If you're comfortable with dismantling things, and you have spare thermal paste and a screwdriver, you could open the card up and look for signs of damage on the PCB, too. If not, then your only recourse will be to take it to someone who can do that for you.

Yakifuji

Commendable
May 3, 2020
That's what I need to do for it to work. The quality is not that good, but with some effort you can see that the fan starts to spin. Maybe it's an contact problem, but if it is, why does it keep working after the pc boots? It doesnt make sense to me.

Yakifuji

Commendable
May 3, 2020
I misread your original post. Still, that you have to press down on the GPU would imply that an electrical connection is broken. Start by checking the gold fingers that insert into the PCI slot and look for any damage. Bear in mind, here, that some of those gold fingers are shorter than others on purpose. Just look for other signs of damage, like scratches or heavy discoloration.

If you're comfortable with dismantling things, and you have spare thermal paste and a screwdriver, you could open the card up and look for signs of damage on the PCB, too. If not, then your only recourse will be to take it to someone who can do that for you.
I didn't wanted to, but I have to go to someone that can check it for me. Damn it, that GPU was the only thing I was keeping for my new build and its a mess. One day I hope I can manage to toss every part of this computer on fire and never touch any computer again. I could spend a fair amount of time talking about hardware problems and errors that happened to me that I never managed to find answers. God bless, Admiral, thanks for your help.