[SOLVED] I need to replace my GTX 550 ti

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020
Hello,

GTX 550 ti started to give me errors when I load many videos, so it seems this is the end of the line .. thanks it was a good ride !

I need an advice from a kind soul to help me purchase a new graphics card, I'm not really into gaming, I just need a decent GPU to run smoothly on my computer and I don't want to use the integrated one.

I've been browsing the internet for a couple of days now and I couldn't decide what I should order, so any advice is much appreciated; the more quite/silent even without a fan is fine but a GPU with a fan is great too.

The only one caught my eye was :
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6332-KR
But I hesitated and I wanted to make sure before I order.

My computer is old but I'm really happy with it !

MB : Asrock z77 extreme4
CPU : i5 3570k
RAM : 4x4GB
PSU : 550W
System on SSD

My budget ~150 $ max.

Thanks in advance,peace.

Solution
I'd normally agree with the recommendation for the RX 570. However, while last December, the price of that card (4GB version) plunged to as low as $109.99 or even $99.99. The 8GB was typically $10-20 more.

Today, the cheapest RX 570 (albeit 8GB), is $188.98, and that's after a $30 mail in rebate. That's insane.

The GTX 1650 (GDDR6 version) performs on par with it, and is starting currently at $169.99. The GDDR5 can be had for a little cheaper, but is also slower. $169.99 is not terrible, but is still a little more than it should be.

It's just not a great time to buy video cards.

Still, if your gaming is light-duty, and you were happy with the performance of the GTX 550Ti, the 1030 (GDDR5 version, do NOT get the DDR4 version)...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd normally agree with the recommendation for the RX 570. However, while last December, the price of that card (4GB version) plunged to as low as $109.99 or even $99.99. The 8GB was typically $10-20 more.

Today, the cheapest RX 570 (albeit 8GB), is $188.98, and that's after a $30 mail in rebate. That's insane.

The GTX 1650 (GDDR6 version) performs on par with it, and is starting currently at $169.99. The GDDR5 can be had for a little cheaper, but is also slower. $169.99 is not terrible, but is still a little more than it should be.

Still, if your gaming is light-duty, and you were happy with the performance of the GTX 550Ti, the 1030 (GDDR5 version, do NOT get the DDR4 version) performs a hair faster than your old 550Ti, and starts around $80. Not terrible, though the GT 1030 was always a little overpriced for its performance. BUT, it doesn't seem to have been affected by the sudden increase in GPU prices over the past month.

That, of course, is all new prices in the US.

Reactions: unseenhawk
Solution

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020
No,you will be buying the same performance.Buy a 4GB card like a r9 380 or a gtx 960 on used market,but first see if there are any rx 570 4gb cards in stock in your country.

Thank you very much for your reply, the RX 570 suggestion is an exellent one when I googled I find nothing but praise alas I've found an RX 570 but it's very over priced reaching 200$ ! should I go for it or there is a better option ? I don't like used cards but I appreciate the suggestion.

Even better if its an 8gb card. Even if you are not into gaming, 8GB make a big difference today over 4GB considering that everything needs more and more RAM with each passing year.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll take that into consideration when I order one I just hope for a decent price.

Still, if your gaming is light-duty, and you were happy with the performance of the GTX 550Ti, the 1030 (GDDR5 version, do NOT get the DDR4 version) performs a hair faster than your old 550Ti, and starts around $80. Not terrible, though the GT 1030 was always a little overpriced for its performance. BUT, it doesn't seem to have been affected by the sudden increase in GPU prices over the past month.

That, of course, is all new prices in the US.

I really appreciate your reply, thank you very much, it helped me open my eyes to a new thing for me (cryptomining) made me forgot my main goal and started to dive into this practice !

As you mentioned the RX 570 is excellent choice but due to that practice this model skyrocketed not sure if it's a viable option.

The reasons behind my budget ~ 150$ :
1- I don't think it's worth it to put an expensive graphics card on such old computer unless you disagree
2- my requirement, just need for a smooth video playing and very casual gaming

I can raise my budget to 200$ or even 300$ but not sure if it's worth it ?
You guys seems unhappy about the GT 1030, so is the only the only option now is GT 1650 Super or the regular GT 1650 ? or do I need to wait for new budget products ? or do you think the market will settle down after the Holidays ?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your reply, the RX 570 suggestion is an exellent one when I googled I find nothing but praise alas I've found an RX 570 but it's very over priced reaching 200$ ! should I go for it or there is a better option ? I don't like used cards but I appreciate the suggestion.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll take that into consideration when I order one I just hope for a decent price.

I really appreciate your reply, thank you very much, it helped me open my eyes to a new thing for me (cryptomining) made me forgot my main goal and started to dive into this practice !

As you mentioned the RX 570 is excellent choice but due to that practice this model skyrocketed not sure if it's a viable option.

The reasons behind my budget ~ 150$ :
1- I don't think it's worth it to put an expensive graphics card on such old computer unless you disagree
2- my requirement, just need for a smooth video playing and very casual gaming

I can raise my budget to 200$ or even 300$ but not sure if it's worth it ?
You guys seems unhappy about the GT 1030, so is the only the only option now is GT 1650 Super or the regular GT 1650 ? or do I need to wait for new budget products ? or do you think the market will settle down after the Holidays ?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
1650 super is a great budget option,what was the price of it again?

Last edited:

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020
1650 super is a great budget option,what was the price of it again?

Thanks for keeping up with me, well .. either out of stock or available with an insane price .. I don't want to piss you off so I'll keep the price for myself.

If you were fine with the 550ti performance the card you picked should be fine. Find a cheaper model on amazon.com with active cooling and call it a day, 1050 might cost the same, have a look. Splurge the extra 5-10 dollars and get a 4GB card, what could it hurt.

Or even this
https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-R...dchild=1&keywords=1030&qid=1607803536&sr=8-20

It is slightly better and a bit cheaper.

Thanks for replying and the suggestion, I did some googling regarding the 4GB VRAM now I see the point why all of you insist on a 4GB graphics card so thanks for that, also an active cooling most of the time keeps things live longer, I did some digging and I found this one :

GTX 1050 ti mini :

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...d=1607857145&sprefix=zotac+105,aps,307&sr=8-7

I can get it in my country for 180$ includes tax and shipping same day delivery, I tried to google price history of this card but I couldn't find a satisfying answer, so I'm not sure what you guys think about it ?

I found this one too as King_V suggestion GTX 1650 GDDR6 :

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...ild=1&keywords=gtx+1650&qid=1607860105&sr=8-1

I can get it for 210$ ? but out stock till may be Feb 2021 ?!

I also did some googling and it seems everything on the rise since the cryptomining crisis and also corona virus epidemic, so I believe this issue will last for a long time not for just only Holidays ..

If you think the price of the GTX 1050ti is somewhat fair I'll go with it, if not please give me something :
1- 4GB
2- GPU price that did not fluctuate much since release

Thanks,peace.

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020

So it seems this is the going price, thanks.

If you can get a 1650 for the same price as a 1050ti, don't even hesitate to get the 1050ti.

Thanks for your reply, do you mean not hesitate to get the 1650 ? or actually the 1050ti, I'll list what I've found so far :

For the 1050ti I found it at 180$ including tax and shipping same day. but wow in Amazon for 300$ !

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Cerberu...&keywords=ASUS+Cerberus&qid=1607892545&sr=8-2

For the 1650 I found this one 176$ include shipping and tax delivery same day, not sure about the company though.

https://en.colorful.cn/product_show.aspx?mid=102&id=1800

Now have Zotac,Asus and Colorful, which one to go for ?

Thanks guys.

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020
The 1650 is way better.Just look at this comparison
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-qedNCU7k

Thank you very much, with no doubt !

Yeah I agree just a typo

Thanks mate, it looks like no brainier I just wanted to make sure as I noticed not many fans for the normal 1650 but in my case it's more than what I need.

Thank you guys I'm going to order the 1650 :
https://en.colorful.cn/product_show.aspx?mid=102&id=1800

But I noticed my junk PSU doesn't have an 8 pin only 6 pin :
https://www.i-tech.com.au/550w-vx-550-psu-aer-4713105953695.html#yt_tab_products2

What do you suggest ? I hope not a new PSU :(

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm a little surprised that any GTX 1650 requires an 8-pin connector. That's definitely overkill. They generally require a 6-pin, and I think there are some that don't require any power connector.

That said, you should definitely replace that PSU. First, if your PSU does not have the required connectors, then it likely can't support the video card. But second, and more important, Aerocool, unfortunately, makes pretty lousy PSUs.

Check the first link in my signature. That is your must-read for getting a good PSU. And, a good PSU is important before getting a new GPU.

Given that the 550Ti requires MORE power than the 1650, I would not at all be surprised if the PSU was the reason your 550Ti is dying. If a PSU can't give clean, steady power, it can prematurely age your other components.

I'm a little surprised that any GTX 1650 requires an 8-pin connector. That's definitely overkill. They generally require a 6-pin, and I think there are some that don't require any power connector.
That GTX 1650 the OP picked is an overclocked version with the newer GDDR6 ram configuration, but that still doesn't even explain why it would need 8 pin PCIE power when the specs say it has a 90watt TDP. The only GTX 1650 I have seen that don't require PCIE power from the PSU are the low profile versions.

I wonder if they maybe used GTX 1660 boards and swapped the GPU or maybe modified the card to not actually need the 8pin and may work fine with just 6pin. The card may not even sense those 2 extra pins, so it can't draw 150watts and instead just draws up to 75watt over 6pin. It's very odd and I personally would have avoided buying such a card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed it's strange. I do have a highly overclocked GTX 1650 myself, a Gigabyte Eagle, GDDR6. It is rated at 85W, and has a 6-pin connector. An 8-pin is kind of crazy for a card that will never pull even 120W of power in the most extreme circumstances.

Crazier was a particular model of MSI RX 5600 XT - it's a 150W card, and had TWO 8-pin connectors! Insane.

But, I'm digressing from the topic. You're right it never SHOULD draw that much power, but if the connector's there, then, theoretically, it COULD. I wouldn't gamble at doing any kind of 6-pin-to-8-pin adapter. I agree, I'd get a different version of the card.

I just had a quick look at what GTX 1650 are available. I'm not sure why I would have even thought there were no full sized cards that don't require PCIE power, but there actually are some available. Really though, the GTX 1650 is not worth buying unless it's a low profile card or the only card in stock in, which is kind of the case right now with the current GPU shortages. It makes more sense to stretch the budget if possible for a GTX 1650 Super, because it's 25-30% faster than the 1650 for "usually" only a bit more cash.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I just had a quick look at what GTX 1650 are available. I'm not sure why I would have even thought there were no full sized cards that don't require PCIE power, but there actually are some available. Really though, the GTX 1650 is not worth buying unless it's a low profile card or the only card in stock in, which is kind of the case right now with the current GPU shortages. It makes more sense to stretch the budget if possible for a GTX 1650 Super, because it's 25-30% faster than the 1650 for "usually" only a bit more cash.

Usually, yes, and I would agree.

Just checked today, and in the US (OP is not in the US, by the way), the cheapest:
  • GTX 1650 GDDR5: $159.94
  • GTX 1650 GDDR6: $169.99
  • GTX 1650 Super: $198.99

The gap between the 1650 and 1650 Super used to be notably less, in more normal, sane times. Despite the fact that I'm not really in the market for a new GU, I'm still in shock at the price jumps.

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello,

GTX 550 ti started to give me errors when I load many videos, so it seems this is the end of the line .. thanks it was a good ride !

I need an advice from a kind soul to help me purchase a new graphics card, I'm not really into gaming, I just need a decent GPU to run smoothly on my computer and I don't want to use the integrated one.

I've been browsing the internet for a couple of days now and I couldn't decide what I should order, so any advice is much appreciated; the more quite/silent even without a fan is fine but a GPU with a fan is great too.

The only one caught my eye was :
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6332-KR
But I hesitated and I wanted to make sure before I order.

My computer is old but I'm really happy with it !

MB : Asrock z77 extreme4
CPU : i5 3570k
RAM : 4x4GB
PSU : 550W
System on SSD

My budget ~150 $ max.

Thanks in advance,peace.

I have a GTX970 I can sell you. $150CAD.

unseenhawk

Reputable
Dec 11, 2020

That said, you should definitely replace that PSU. First, if your PSU does not have the required connectors, then it likely can't support the video card. But second, and more important, Aerocool, unfortunately, makes pretty lousy PSUs.

Check the first link in my signature. That is your must-read for getting a good PSU. And, a good PSU is important before getting a new GPU.

Given that the 550Ti requires MORE power than the 1650, I would not at all be surprised if the PSU was the reason your 550Ti is dying. If a PSU can't give clean, steady power, it can prematurely age your other components.

Thank you very much for all the help, your post always helpful, I did read the first post and the second post by jonnyguru and specially jonnyguru was specific and easy for me, I took your advice seriously, I did some research and this what I came with :

I find this Cooler Master MWE V2 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE, for 80$ including tax and delivery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Bronze-V2-Bronze-Supply/dp/B07T26V9Y3

I also found this one Crosair CV450, CV Series 80 PLUS BRONZE for the same price above 80$ including tax and delivery same day
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Non-Modular-Supply/dp/B07YVVXYFN

I'll reply in a spread post regarding the card, You and Third_Eye saved me from making a terrible mistake .. hehe .. much appreciated.