I need to upgrade but I need help with some options

UcShrek

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
My motherboard broke down, I have a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 but its pretty much dead now and out of warranty. I am looking to upgrade my Core I7-4790K, my options are the I7-9700K or the I7-8086K, I know these are the two processors right now that should be able to do 5.0 overclocking, but I am debating on the motherboard and I have a few questions, these are my options:

- Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
- ASRock Z390 Extreme 4
- MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus

If somebody can recommend any other option that would be great, I also want to ask about power cables from the PSU to the motherboard to power up the CPU.

My motherboard has an 8-pin power connector where I can just plug the power supply with the one single 8-pin cable, but the newer motherboards they actually have two connectors, they have an 8-pin plus a 4-pin connectors, my power supply is an EVGA supernova 750W B2, it’s pretty modern, I honestly don’t know if I have all these cables to power up the CPU, I’m thinking that I might, but I would have to dig in the box to see if I have it, or else how can I fix this?

So these are my two concerns right now, but I am hoping that with either option for motherboard that I go from my previous list, I should be able to do some good overclocking for my next CPU, but like I said if you can recommend any other motherboard that you think would be better that be great, so let’s keep this ball rolling!

Solution
9700K is hands down better than the 8086K
Your psu is a fine one with two 4+4 eps cables.
Sometimes, motherboards do not actually need the extra 4 pin power.
It can be used for extra high power draw graphics cards.
If you have lost the evga cable, you can perhaps order a spare or in a pinch use a molex to 4 pin adapter.

As to which motherboard, I might pass on gigabyte since the previous one failed you.
Asrock seems to do ok and they, along with ASUS seem to have the most active overclocking forums.

WildCard999

Titan
It's a shame your motherboard died, that 4790K is still a great CPU by today's standards.

Between those two I'd go with the 9700K for the extra cores and your PSU should have the right connections for the newer boards. As to which board to get I'd go more Gigabyte or Asrock (had issues over the years with MSI but to each there own).

9700K is hands down better than the 8086K
Your psu is a fine one with two 4+4 eps cables.
Sometimes, motherboards do not actually need the extra 4 pin power.
It can be used for extra high power draw graphics cards.
If you have lost the evga cable, you can perhaps order a spare or in a pinch use a molex to 4 pin adapter.

As to which motherboard, I might pass on gigabyte since the previous one failed you.
Asrock seems to do ok and they, along with ASUS seem to have the most active overclocking forums.

Solution

UcShrek

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I think I can agree on the CPU with both of you, the i7-9700K has more cores/threads and overclocks better, so this is clear.

MoBo wise tho, I never had any issues before with any other motherboard untill now, I have had ASUS and Gigabyte but this is my first MB that is given me problems, I guess you are right about the brand if already failed, but I have never had ASRock before either, and when you compare it with ASUS, does this is mean is pretty much the same quality and realiability?

I am thinking that I would like to give ASRock a try, but I would like to read more about them and about their Bios, is it friendly and ok to navigate for overclocking? I guess I will have to do some homework.