Question I need to upgrade the RAM and CPU on my laptop ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
before clean install, can i backup current windows 8.1 os using acronis software
Sure. If you want to.
Do you intend to ever go back to 32bit windows 8.1 ?
i have one doubt, will it take product key automatically
If your laptop was sold with windows 8 preinstalled, then windows key should be written into laptop bios.
During install, if should just take windows key from bios and not even ask for it.

Or you can extract current key from your windows with appropriate software.
Belarc advisor could do that.
I think, there was even a vbs script, that could extract windows key from OS.

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
which processor is faster and better in between these 2 ,
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz
intel pentium cpu A1018 @2.10GHz

will pentium cpu A1018 can be fit for my laptop?

Last edited:
1.i have installed my new 4gb ram in first slot and already existing 2gb ram in 2nd slot, but 2nd ram is different company compared to first ram, suddenly my screen got stucked, and blue screen error coming. is this bcz of two different company rams?
have the issues that had arisen ever been addressed and fixed?

many times mixing RAM modules/kits will lead to system instability, data corruption, or just outright inability to work.
even if they may be the exact same make & model, if they aren't packaged together in a single kit there is no guarantee they will work together.

if running the system with either single module works properly;
return the new module and purchase an 8GB(2x 4GB) kit.

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
have the issues that had arisen ever been addressed and fixed?

many times mixing RAM modules/kits will lead to system instability, data corruption, or just outright inability to work.
even if they may be the exact same make & model, if they aren't packaged together in a single kit there is no guarantee they will work together.

if running the system with either single module works properly;
return the new module and purchase an 8GB(2x 4GB) kit.
yeah automatically fixed, why we need to buy single package instead of purchasing single ram same company and same model and same speed?

why we need to buy single package instead of purchasing single ram same company and same model and same speed?

because there are differences in engineering, materials, etc even for the exact same model.

packaged kits are put through vigorous testing to ensure compatibility in all scenarios.
when mixing & matching there can be differences in data processing and lots of other aspects that make them not 100% compatible.

you may get lucky and different modules will function.
some may function at top speeds,
some may just barely and can still lead to performance decreases vs a matched pair.

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
which processor is faster and better in between these 2 ,
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz
intel pentium cpu A1018 @2.10GHz

will pentium cpu A1018 can be fit for my laptop?
is it possible to change the processor if pentium cpu A1018 perform faster than Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz