Question I need troubleshooting help for unresponsive freezes ?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Custom PC I built 3+ years ago:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 6 Core Processor 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti
Tomahawk MB ( I can check specific model if needed)
16GB of RAM
Windows 10 Home 64bit - Version: 21H1

Up until about 10 days ago, I haven't had any issues with my PC ever. Mainly using it for light video editing, occasional YT video binge, even less occasional streaming OBS/Twitch, and browsing the internet with multiple (alot) of tabs open. The only thing that I can think of that has changed in the past 10-14 days are the following:
  • I purchased a subscription for a AVG package that included their Tune Up, VPN, & Anti-Track services. No other anti-virus software installed.
  • I downloaded these Chrome browser extensions: TamperMonkey, CTabs, StreamRecorder, AdBlock for Chrome, AdBlock for YouTube, and then some for my online selling like Jungle Scout, Keepa, Flipmine, Rakuten
  • I downloaded the latest Windows Update + Driver Updates (3-4 days ago)
What I've tried so far with no luck:
  • Unplugged all peripherals that I dont have to have
  • Downloaded & Installed the latest GEFORCE drivers for my GPU
  • Cleaned TempInternetFiles and whatever else CCleaner does. Except I did that with the AVG service this time instead of using CCleaner.
No error codes or messages. Completely at random when it freezes. Before 10 days ago or so, I cant think of 1 single time its ever froze up and became totally unresponsive to the point I have to hard reset it. The only time its ever froze, ctrl+alt+del would let me end task out of the software. That's only happened maybe 3-4 times in 3+ years. Its now freezing up 2-3 times a day and like I said completely random. I have my set-up in my man cave. PC is adjacent to my XB1. I look back and forth often and PC working fine, look away for 30-45secs, go to scroll and it'll be froze.

I have adequate space and 2 hard drives. Windows and a couple trusted softwares on 1 drive with all my other BS like video clips, music, software on another drive

What further info is needed from me to help diagnose and what can/should I try to pinpoint my issue?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
hdd or ssd?
check cpu usage?
Both. OS and "Important" stuff is on my SSD C drive. Then I also have a HDD that stores all my media, softwares, etc
Its telling me they're ok and don't need to be optimized after I analyzed them both

CPU Usage % when I look is usually floating around 3-5
Memory Usage is around 39%

I noticed that 2 things are spiking my CPU usage from around the 3-5 all the way to 70%+
  1. AVG Anti Track
  2. Trigger Mode Monitor
My background processes are currently at 76 and Windows processes are at 89, which seems pretty high to me, but Im not sure. Im going to Google some more info while I wait for a reply back.

Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction so far

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
stop the anti tracking for testing
is the cpu idling too much? set power to performance

How do I tell if the CPU is idling too much? I don't regularly check/monitor my usages. Should I get a widget or monitor app/software to keep a closer eye on things? It appears I've let things get out of hand, but wasn't aware of all "Junk" hogging my resources.

Cleaned up processes running in the background

*EDIT****

Since cleaning up the processes and stopping the antitrack AVG software, there hasn't been any freezes. 1 or the other or a combination of both has resolved my issue I think (hope)!

Last edited: