I Never Want To Be Near A Nosulus Rift Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Really, where did your reporting inquisitiveness go? What about future plans? Other scents? How many ... blasts... per device? How do you re-fuel it? CAN it be refueled?

When will the raspberry bliss model come? So many questions unanswered! ;)

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I actually look forward to VR for my other senses, including smell. Would I want it for every game? Oh lord no. But walking through a VR rose field losses a lot depth when you can't smell them. Imagine smelling the ozone of a blaster battle, walking through a corridor and catching a whiff of the Alien since it walked by unseen and unheard 1 minute earlier, I could list off a lot of games that would benefit from this device.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Just the thought of smelling rotting corpses from one of these games makes me want to upchuck. I've opened a bag of beef jerky once where the meat spoiled; the smell was so bad that I'll never be able to get it out of my mind. :(

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
You're going a little far with this obvious hoax. The name alone tells us it's not a real product, and fart-smell? That's the easiest and one of the most undesirable smells to create.

Brandon_29

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Why couldn't they put this to good use? Like Disney does with smells. You walk through main street and they are pumping fresh cookie scents into the air. You go into other areas and they use different scents. It is brilliant and it really works. Could you imagine a FF game in VR where you walk into an open field and you can smell the grass and flowers. You go into a town and you can smell the bakery or brewery. A special character walks buy and gives off a sent of something interesting. The potential is amazing, but instead of showcasing what could be they instead choose south park (WTF!) Whoever had that bright idea needs to be fired and banned from the business forever.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
To clarify for the incredulous: Although this whole thing was put together as stunt for the South Park game, it's totally real. They *actually* did this.

What future applications there are for scents in games...who knows. But you could consider this a proof of concept, if nothing else.

I actually hope "game smells" takes off solely because in the annals of history, we'll all have to point to this horrid thing as the first instance of it working. That's long-term trolling by Ubisoft. Well played.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Also, I'm totally going to make that picture of Niels my desktop background. Every time I look at it, I laugh out loud.

I feel like it would be pretty great meme fodder, too...

g-unit1111

Titan

True, this thing has nothing on the Smell-O-Scope! :lol:

bloodroses

Distinguished

It sounds exactly like something they'd do on a Southpark TV episode. I guess it makes sense to try the same for a Southpark game. The funny thing is that I bet there are enough people that are that big into Southpark that they would buy this... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.