Question I only get 21 when i pay for 500 ?

Aug 10, 2022
Provider checkdd out their equipment and internet speed. The speed comming from ethernet is 500+.. When I disconnect the ethernet speed changes to 55 from 21 when it's connected. ISP checked out their equipment all good. Ethernet cable is putting out 550+ thou I am getting 21. Could it possibly be the pc hardware ?

How do you know the ethernet is putting out 550.

Where do you get that number from. Is this something you see when ISP uses their machine to test but you get other speeds on your equipment or is there some way you get the 500mbps on your equipment. What does speedtest site say.

A ethernet port itself will always run at 1gbit no matter what is connected past it. Now it could run slower if there was a defect but it would then run at 100mbps. It runs at either of those 2 speeds and nothing else. If you get more than 100mbps your cables and ethernet ports are likely good.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Provider checkdd out their equipment and internet speed. The speed comming from ethernet is 500+.. When I disconnect the ethernet speed changes to 55 from 21 when it's connected. ISP checked out their equipment all good. Ethernet cable is putting out 550+ thou I am getting 21. Could it possibly be the pc hardware
What are you CPU and Drives for system? Could it be that your system speed cannot follow ethernet speed? It technically can happen with some atrocious SSD's

1 Byte = 8 bits
Bytes are usually indicated by an uppcase B and bits are usually indicated by a lowercase b.
So 55MB/s = 440Mbps because 55x8 = 440.

55MB/s seems normal for your plan speed with ethernet. Nothing wrong on your ISP end.

21MB/s = 168Mbps which seems normal for wifi depending on your distance to the router and signal strength.

I don't see the problem here.

Reactions: DimkaTsv
Aug 10, 2022
What are the specs of your Ethernet cable? Please make sure that the cable is at least Cat. 5e or Cat. 6 (1Gbsp) and your motherboard supports Gigabit LAN.
What are the specs of your Ethernet cable? Please make sure that the cable is at least Cat. 5e or Cat. 6 (1Gbsp) and your motherboard supports Gigabit LAN.

Verified TIA/EIA 568-C.2 CAT6 UTA Patch Cable RoHS Compliant

1 Byte = 8 bits
Bytes are usually indicated by an uppcase B and bits are usually indicated by a lowercase b.
So 55MB/s = 440Mbps because 55x8 = 440.

55MB/s seems normal for your plan speed with ethernet. Nothing wrong on your ISP end.

21MB/s = 168Mbps which seems normal for wifi depending on your distance to the router and signal strength.

I don't see the problem here.

OP says he is using Ethernet cable and he only gets 21Mbps.

I currently get 150Mbps over Wi-Fi, so I think the OP has a reason to complain.