I Outsourced My Homework To India!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
That is terrible. I struggled through two computer science courses before switching out of it, and the coding projects are THE MOST IMPORTANT THING you must do in the courses. They are really only hurting themselves when students do this sort of thing. Though they might get the grade, once they get the job it's only a matter of time before they are found out and won't get another chance at landing another job in that industry.

alfrido

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
thats why the third world are catching up on the western countries its really bad to hear this. Even the word outsourcing brings tears in my eyes.

Lazyness of westerners

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Clearly the author isn't a programmer. Only so many ways to write a program, psh. At my school they detected cheating by diffing your parse tree with every other parse tree for the last 5 years. If it wasn't adequately different, you failed. Then of course theres code obfusication, see how unmaintainable you can write your code.

Two things are sad about this, first, programming isn't that hard. I went to school for computer engineering with my specialty being VLSI and ULSI design. Couldn't get a job in that so I got a job as a programmer because it was a hobby of mine with only a minimal amount of schooling in it required for my degree. They tested the hell out of my coding skills in my interviews and I got the job with next to no formal schooling. (Granted they did higher me for test, but transfered me to software fairly quickly)

Second, 10 bucks!? I just told one of my indian friends I work with to tell his buddies back in india to charge more!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Maybe jobs will start hiring based on skill rather than some piece of paper someone paid for. Degrees don't really mean shit. I know plenty of people who didn't go to college that outsmart people who did.

With a little luck, these cheater won't be able to maintain a job and will quickly realize how stupid they are.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Maybe jobs will start hiring based on skill rather than some piece of paper someone paid for. Degrees don't really mean shit. I know plenty of people who didn't go to college that outsmart people who did.With a little luck, these cheater won't be able to maintain a job and will quickly realize how stupid they are.[/citation]
No people like this end becoming PHB's.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
This will just fuel the drive of companies to outsource their IT to India as well. They might as well pay the real programmers to do the work, especially since they will do it for less than US programmers.

Having been a programmer for 19 years, I can't imagine how someone who can't do the work themselves could possibly get a good job anyway and keep it.

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Captaincharisma[/nom]this is typical especially from the U.S. outsourcing in the U.S has taken the place of slavery in the U.S or can make the assumption they are the same thing[/citation]

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Outsourcing and sweatshops are two different things. Outsourcing is absolute genius for the person doing the work. They make a pile of money compared to the rates of pay they have available. $10 might sound like very little, but when you take into account the exchange rate and cost of living it isn't bad at all for a simple assignment. Not to mention it would probably take someone competent very little time to do.

The only group that gets hurt in outsourcing are the people who live in the areas and have the skills that companies are outsourcing. Exchange rates and cost of living work against those people. Which is pretty awesome for someone like me who is a programmer in the US...

sapphireforever

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
For people who outsource their homework, how are they going to deal with midterm and final? When I was in school, part of test was to ask you to write the a program or a piece of program on paper.

pilotman28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Maybe jobs will start hiring based on skill rather than some piece of paper someone paid for. Degrees don't really mean shit. I know plenty of people who didn't go to college that outsmart people who did.With a little luck, these cheater won't be able to maintain a job and will quickly realize how stupid they are.[/citation]

A four year degree doesn't just say "hey look how smart I am" it also shows you can stick to something for 4+ years and finish. It's a sign of character and determination to an employer. Only 26% of people who start college finish. There's a reason why it's that low because the drive to finish it must be there and an employer wants to see that.

In the gov't contracting world, where I work, the contracting company can charge the military more for you if you have your 4-year degree so obviously they're going to want that.

You may say some smarter people you know don't have degrees and I probably know some dumber people than you who do however they were able to commit to something rather difficult and finish it. If it was about smarts I'd be making more money than 98% of the people in this world just for being a Mensa member but I don't.

Get a degree or quit putting down the people who have more fortitude than the other shmucks who don't. If you have a scholarship to pay for your school that 4-years can almost ALWAYS guarantee you about 4K-10K extra starting salary.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
Something most people do not know is that it also goes the other way. My wife did contract work for proof-reading, editing, programming, etc. and every day she got requests from American, European, East Indian and Asian Students for her to go over their work and have the documents ready and formatted as a dissertation, thesis or similar fashion.
In the end, EVERYONE is lazy.

G

As an INDIAN i understand the frustration you had behind this word outsourcing. Companies should look for the people who are talented which results in good money and growth, instead companies in US looking for cheap talented engineers who can work 24/7 and save company money. Cause of this outsourcing India’s GDP just increased to 3% we can survive without this term. Hope i didn't offended anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.