[SOLVED] I "overclocked" my RAM and it is sluggier but snappier

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I have ddr3 1866 mhz ram.

I made adjustments in the bios so it runs at 2144 mhz at 1.5v

It works fine, but it is a lot sluggier (but snappier) than native speed; for example, start-up programs (wallpaper engine) start 1-2 sec slower at the higher frequency compared to the native frequency; however, programs, such Adobe Illustrator, are a lot quicker (there is minimal delay when rendering items)

What is the reason for this?

Solution
Did you verify for errors with memtest? We got Dimond hands here 1.5volts and we going to the moon Baby. Just record your memtest nanosecond results @1866mhz and also @2144mhz. Good Luck on your endeavors.
I have ddr3 1866 mhz ram.

I made adjustments in the bios so it runs at 2144 mhz at 1.5v

It works fine, but it is a lot sluggier (but snappier) than native speed; for example, start-up programs (wallpaper engine) start 1-2 sec slower at the higher frequency compared to the native frequency; however, programs, such Adobe Illustrator, are a lot quicker (there is minimal delay when rendering items)

What is the reason for this?
Your CAS latency is probably higher now, both frequency and latency impact system different ways.

jtk2515

Distinguished
Did you verify for errors with memtest? We got Dimond hands here 1.5volts and we going to the moon Baby. Just record your memtest nanosecond results @1866mhz and also @2144mhz. Good Luck on your endeavors.

Solution