I put in a NVMe in my PC and it switched my windows

Feb 6, 2019
I recently did a trade with someone in my city and take some of his parts and put into my computer. A 256 GB NVMe and a second graphics card (GTX 1050.)

My PC worked fine before but recently it loaded up a whole new windows with different settings, desktop, etc. My files are still within all the other drives but is there a way to revert back to my old settings/desktop or even transfer over my windows settings to this new drive?

Hopefully I'm not stuck but if I am I'll make do in some way. Any help is appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan

So this drive you got already had his OS and everything on it?

Feb 6, 2019

Yes or at least I'm assuming it did cause that's what my BIOS is booting for windows. And when I check to see where windows is on my PC it's saying it's off that NVMe drive. There wasn't any other files on the drive that where his or would have there due to him adding. Minus the OS that's already there.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming you wish to use this as your boot drive, you absolutely need to do a full wipe and reinstall on that drive.
Disconnect ALL other drives, and install on that.

Assuming Win 10:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

If you select your drive as the 1rst device in 'Boot priority', it should load from your original drive....

You can then worry about how to secure erase your pre-owned NVME drive, if a Samsung or Micron/Crucial relative....(or at least delete all partitions, and start over otherwise)

I'm assuming you'll want to either clone to /reinstall to the NVME drive afterward for it's increased speed for your own OS use?