[SOLVED] i raided\not raided my ssd what should i do?

Sep 26, 2020
my moobo : Z390 Asus tuf gaming pro
i had to update bios, after update message told me to : sata mode selection must be changed to raid mode to avoid unknow issue .
i joined EZ tuning wizard -> Raid -> sata mode -> super speed ( RAID 0 ).

i dont understand, i did what they asked, after that i could not see my ssd in boot menu in bios, i see my ssd under storage information as Raid:
Samsung 860 evo 250gb .

so i can't log to my windows. when I go to physical disk info I can see my SSD status: non raid.

the main question : how i get my ssd work back in sata mode ! to log in to my windows ?
---------------------------------
edit:

i may not get my sdd + hdd back, i lost all the data, because when i setuping windows again i can see my ssd and hdd free space 2tb\2tb free space , also for my ssd.

so did i raided my ssd? is that bad? what what what what ??? i dont understand anything lol
here is now: i can see my ssd in boot menu and i see its raid ( i lost all ma data )

image here RAID

Last edited:
Solution
I fixed it but i lost my data. so no data has been retrieved .

at Bios i changed it from intel raid to AHCI.
new format new windows setup.
that's it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

All you have done is changed the bios to raid, it hasn't touched the ssd at all. That is why the SSD won't boot.
Try resetting bios to defaults and see if it is set to sata and not raid, and see if ssd is 1st in boot order.

i lost all the data, because when i setuping windows again i can see my ssd and hdd free space 2tb\2tb free space , also for my ssd.
did you run set up after changing bios to raid... and if so, why?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
SO EZ Tuning is on Asus boards, I thought I recognised the name. There is a chance the process wiped the boot sector but try changing it back to sata and see before I jump to conclusions.

If the installer saw the ssd as 2tb it must be seeing the raid array as no way is a 250gb ssd that big by itself.

You should have come here before changing stuff in bios if you unsure what it does.

RAID can stand for Redundant Array of Individual disks. RAID 0 basically makes them all into 1 big disk. It may be why both show as a 2tb space as that would be about right amount of space for a 250gb ssd + 2tb drive if added together after formating

The bios action shouldn't touch the ssd. Its possible we may have to mess with the windows boot sector to get it working again. we shall see.

Sep 26, 2020

All you have done is changed the bios to raid, it hasn't touched the ssd at all. That is why the SSD won't boot.
Try resetting bios to defaults and see if it is set to sata and not raid, and see if ssd is 1st in boot order.

i have Z390 tuf pro gaming pro ..
after win set tup i can see ssd in boot menu and in the sotrage information and its Raid. i can see my ssd is empty after win setup also my hdd

i make like this video :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7XpK-5WgLU&feature=emb_title

Sep 26, 2020
SO EZ Tuning is on Asus boards, I thought I recognised the name. There is a chance the process wiped the boot sector but try changing it back to sata and see before I jump to conclusions.

If the installer saw the ssd as 2tb it must be seeing the raid array as no way is a 250gb ssd that big by itself.

You should have come here before changing stuff in bios if you unsure what it does.

RAID can stand for Redundant Array of Individual disks. RAID 0 basically makes them all into 1 big disk. It may be why both show as a 2tb space as that would be about right amount of space for a 250gb ssd + 2tb drive if added together after formating

The bios action shouldn't touch the ssd. Its possible we may have to mess with the windows boot sector to get it working again. we shall see.

im now on new win setup , the previeus one has been deleted and all information in hdd also deleted. i have new win with new C and D empty.
how to change to sata mode ? i see in bios there is sata mode selection to intel RS premuim intel , i can change it to AHSCI ..
this the current : IMAGE

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020

here is the current setting :
after win set tup i can see ssd in boot menu and in the sotrage information and its Raid. i can see my ssd is empty after win setup also my hdd here is the image now : HERE

i make like this video :

Sep 26, 2020

here is the current setting :
after win set tup i can see ssd in boot menu and in the sotrage information and its Raid. i can see my ssd is empty after win setup also my hdd here is the image now :

i make like this video :

cuz i had no access to windows. the sdd and hdd deleted. when making raid all info deleted! idk why
i make like the video above this comment

Last edited:

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
From what I understand RAID 0 configuration turns the SSD into a flash cache. Setting it in the BIOS should not have wiped the disk, but this varies from BIOS to BIOS and really depends on what your BIOS did. It "could" have wiped it out. Did it give you a warning before it allows you to change it? Because it usually tells you it is about to wipe the disk and you needed to click confirm.

Do not use RAID configuration. Even if your Windows is installed on the HDD, just install your program files on the SSD. Windows already uses superfetch anyways, so caching the HDD with a SSD doesn't seem logical anymore. And if you are already using the SSD as a bootdrive with Windows, there is 0 reason to use RAID 0.

• RAID 0 configuration will severely reduce the life of your SSD
  • The configuration is only useful if you enable write-back caching, which is risky b/c it causes errors if there was a sudden BSOD or freeze. With normal write-through or write-around, the improvement to the HDD is negligible.
  • The larger the cache size you set, the more RAM you have to sacrifice for headroom.
  • And this part I'm not sure as I've never tried the actual Intel RST RAID cache, I used primocache, and it uses your CPU and it increased my CPU temperature by 5-8*C. That is a big deal, especially for gamers.

Reactions: Kobix3

USAFRet

Titan
IRST is the caching thing.

RAID 0 stripes data across 2 or more drives. With HDD, faster response.
If any drive, or the RAID controller fails, all data is lost.

RAID 1 is a mirror. Data is mirrored on two or more drives, in an effort to ward off data loss from physical drive fail.
But, that is only needed is you need actual uptime. Like if running a webstore, and a dead drive = loss of sales.
Not data protection, it is not a backup.

In the consumer space, neither should really be used.

Sep 26, 2020
From what I understand RAID 0 configuration turns the SSD into a flash cache. Setting it in the BIOS should not have wiped the disk, but this varies from BIOS to BIOS and really depends on what your BIOS did. It "could" have wiped it out. Did it give you a warning before it allows you to change it? Because it usually tells you it is about to wipe the disk and you needed to click confirm.

Do not use RAID configuration. Even if your Windows is installed on the HDD, just install your program files on the SSD. Windows already uses superfetch anyways, so caching the HDD with a SSD doesn't seem logical anymore. And if you are already using the SSD as a bootdrive with Windows, there is 0 reason to use RAID 0.

• RAID 0 configuration will severely reduce the life of your SSD
  • The configuration is only useful if you enable write-back caching, which is risky b/c it causes errors if there was a sudden BSOD or freeze. With normal write-through or write-around, the improvement to the HDD is negligible.
  • The larger the cache size you set, the more RAM you have to sacrifice for headroom.
  • And this part I'm not sure as I've never tried the actual Intel RST RAID cache, I used primocache, and it uses your CPU and it increased my CPU temperature by 5-8*C. That is a big deal, especially for gamers.
i had no confirmation at all. here is what i did:

after that i setup new win because i none all deleted.
then i returned my ssd to achi mode and i am making now another formate and reset pc completely .
here what i had this image1 then i did this --> back to aschi here in image2 ..

Sep 26, 2020
I fixed it but i lost my data. so no data has been retrieved .

at Bios i changed it from intel raid to AHCI.
new format new windows setup.
that's it.

Solution