[SOLVED] I REALLY would like a solution to my neverending problems...

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I had to repost this, and leave out something...;-)

If you take a look at my previous post (March 23rd), you will see that I have had lots of PC-problems since then.

I'm not a computer expert, but I have build my own PC's since mid 90's.
Never used more than 48 hrs before to solve a problem.

The past few weeks I have made clean install of Windows 10/64, both build 1903 (May 2019) and 1909 (Nov. 2019)
Build 2004 will not finish the install. Maybe just as good...

Most Windows and Google applications works fine.

I have ran "SFC /Scannow" and "Windows memory Diagnistic tool" many times.

I run "Registry First Aid Platinum" often (PC-World choice #1)

I have tried CC-cleaner, System Mechanic, Iolo and others, before i learned about Registry First Aid,

I use Windows Defender, and Emsisoft.

EQUIPMENT:

Motherboard:
Now:
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

Before:
ASUS Prime X570-Pro, S-AM4
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WI-FI, S-AM4
Vendor found errors on both. Credited.

OS-drive:
M.2 #1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500 GB (OS on this one now)
M.2 #2: Samsung SSD MZVL...500 GB (OS on this one before)
(I have varied where I have installed the OS. )

SSD's/HDD's
Sandisk SSD 240 Gb and Hitachi/HGST's, 2 and 4 TB.
Usually disconnected when installing OS and/or trobleshooting.

GPU's:
GPU before (now returned for check/credit):
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC, 6GB
("PCI-Express 3.0, 6GB GDDR6, 1500/1800MHz, Turing")
I could not get OpenGL to work.

GPU now (borrowed):
AMD Radeon RX560, 4GB
OpenGL works fine, with no hazzle during install.
Both PhotoShop and Techpower GPU-Z confirm that OpenGL work.

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
("Socket-AM4, 12-Core, 24-Thread, 3.8/4.60GHz, 105W, 7nm, incl. cooler")

PSU:
850 W.
I have also tried my previous one (750 W)

RAM:
Now: 2 pair (64 GB) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
(2 x 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16, XMP 2.0)

Vendor checked my first two pairs. "Nothing wrong".
My new MB says different though, for one of the sticks.
The MB startup-LED-status stayed turned on for RAM-error, regardless of which slot i used. That pair is now returned.
I have tried all 4 working sticks, or just two of them, or just one, in various slots. No problem.

Temperatures/overclocking:
All temperatures are (very) low.
I have never overclocked anything.

Here is most of (?) the errors I get:

Program error:

DaDispatcherServices.exe
NahimicScc32.exe
FileCoAuth.exe
AdobeIPCBroker.exe
HP-DQEX5.exe
WDDMStatus.exe
Onedrive.exe
AMDRSSer.exe
CoreSync.exe
FXC_ProxyProcess.exe
AliyunWrapExe.exe
(Nvidia) WebHelper.exe
AISuite3.exe
acrobat_sl.exe
unins000.exe
epm0.exe
++++

Access violation:

Dipawaymode
++++

Last edited:
Solution
Those tools were just another attempt of finding the problem(s). All the faults was there before I tried them on my latest fresh install.

ZIP's: Alle the problems was there before I added anything from a ZIP.

Common hardware, all the time: Yes, the CPU. I have thought about that... Maybe it's time to finally order a new one...
But, does the CPU has anything to do with "Access violation"..? Does it decide/choose where to read/write data...?
Well, when I think about this, it IS the CPU that decides that...isn't it..?
But, why do programs (and uninstallers) start for 0.1 seconds...or 0.5 seconds...or...2 seconds...or..5 seconds....and at best, 10-30 seconds...? (regardless of starting them "normally", or as admin..?
I really...

USAFRet

Titan
I run "Registry First Aid Platinum" often (PC-World choice #1)

I have tried CC-cleaner, System Mechanic, Iolo and others, before i learned about Registry First Aid,

I think I see part of the problem. Those things are invariably more trouble than they are worth.

Previous thread for completeness:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I think I see part of the problem. Those things are invariably more trouble than they are worth.

Previous thread for completeness:

Agreed on the use of those "tools". They are often more trouble than they are worth.

From the original thread, you found threats in ZIP archives. What were those archives of (applications)?

Also, what hardware is common between the March and current threads? Just the CPU?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Agreed on the use of those "tools". They are often more trouble than they are worth.

From the original thread, you found threats in ZIP archives. What were those archives of (applications)?

Also, what hardware is common between the March and current threads? Just the CPU?

Those tools were just another attempt of finding the problem(s). All the faults was there before I tried them on my latest fresh install. Anyway; NO help so far. No damage either. Never actually liked them, but I'm desperate... :)

ZIP's: Alle the problems were there before I added anything from a ZIP archive.

Common hardware, all the time: Yes, the CPU. I have thought about that... Maybe it's time to finally order a new one... Maybe a Ryzen 7 3900X...?
I should have stayed with Intel, I think...

But, does the CPU have anything to do with "Access violation"..? Does it decide/choose where to read/write data...?
Well, when I think about this, it IS the CPU that decides that...isn't it..? I have actually no idea...
But, why do programs (and uninstallers) start for 0.1 seconds...or 0.5 seconds...or...2 seconds...or..5 seconds....or 10-30 seconds...or just finally work? (regardless of starting them "normally", or as admin..?

And, how could the CPU prevent OpenGL on my Nvidia 1660 TI GPU, but not on the Radeon RX 560..?

P.s. Forgot to mention: I now have lots of "flashing windows" (like the CMD-window, for 0.1 sec. Not able to read any text on the window frame. Sometimes very often..

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, issues occur with a fresh, clean install of Windows from a verified good image from MS?

Did you ever try the Live Linux test from the previous thread (to rule out an issue with Windows)?

Do you have access to another AM4 CPU?

When you attempted to install Win 10 2004, was that an upgrade or a clean install?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Those tools were just another attempt of finding the problem(s). All the faults was there before I tried them on my latest fresh install.

ZIP's: Alle the problems was there before I added anything from a ZIP.

Common hardware, all the time: Yes, the CPU. I have thought about that... Maybe it's time to finally order a new one...
But, does the CPU has anything to do with "Access violation"..? Does it decide/choose where to read/write data...?
Well, when I think about this, it IS the CPU that decides that...isn't it..?
But, why do programs (and uninstallers) start for 0.1 seconds...or 0.5 seconds...or...2 seconds...or..5 seconds....and at best, 10-30 seconds...? (regardless of starting them "normally", or as admin..?
I really think we are chasing a bad CPU at this point. During all of the motherboard swapping, it is possible that the CPU lost a pin or received a static shock. That seems to be the only common piece of hardware during all of the troubleshooting you have performed.

Solution

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
So, issues occur with a fresh, clean install of Windows from a verified good image from MS?

Did you ever try the Live Linux test from the previous thread (to rule out an issue with Windows)?

Do you have access to another AM4 CPU?

When you attempted to install Win 10 2004, was that an upgrade or a clean install?

Sorry for the late reply, but there are probably 6-9 hours time difference between me (Norway) and you (USA?)

All my clean installs of Windows are from either Windows directly (ISO-image) or via Rufus. I have a legit copy.

Linux "scares" me a little ;-) Have never tried it.

The only way I can try another AM4 CPU is to buy one from my usual vendor (www.komplett.no, the biggest in Norway). They did test my current one and found no error. But, they didn't find the faulty RAM either, nor the GPU....
I have always been very aware of the "mounting-arrow" when placing the CPU. There are no damaged pins.

I hope Komplett also find out that the returned GPU (sent yesterday) really has an OpenGL-error. If/when they do, I need to find out if I should buy another one, or something else. Suggestions?
Remember that I'm not a gamer. I am all about photo (Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw, Zerene Stacker, PTGui (stitching), and CAD.
I'm also in doubt if I should just buy a new Ryzen 7 2700X (ca 200 USD) or a Ryzen 7 3800X (ca 400 USD). The 2700X is more than enough for me.

The 2004-build tries (3-4 times) has been via Windows update. I tried via Rufus, but with same result.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I really think we are chasing a bad CPU at this point. During all of the motherboard swapping, it is possible that the CPU lost a pin or received a static shock. That seems to be the only common piece of hardware during all of the troubleshooting you have performed.

I wrote there "I have always been very aware of the "mounting-arrow" when placing the CPU. There are no damaged pins. "
But, I assume the CPU can be faulty anyway...

Strangely, there hasn't been a single WerFault.exe or anything else so far today (i.e. 1 hour...)
I now tried something that has guaranteed a "crash"; Taking screenshots with FastStone Capture, and save it. Now I have many screenshots open in that program, and saved them...and it is still running.

I'will try a reboot, and come back...

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Two days of "experimenting" and virus searches; I'm very uncertain if it is the CPU..or a very persistent malware/virus..

In chronological order, from my memory:

My usual AV, Emsisoft, don't find anything (anymore). 15 minutes...
Windows defender found 3, and removed them. (4 hrs search, 30 min. removing...)
Windows defender offline (boot) found nothing. (15 minutes)

I'm able to install MB (Malwarebytes) after many, many tries (stopped after 0s, 1s, 5s...and finally runs (ran as admin or not)
It found 6(?) PUPs and removed them.

I'm could install Kaspersky after many, many tries (stopped after 0s, 1s, 5s...and finally runs (ran as admin or not). It hangs after 70-80%, several times. Hard reset is the only way to reboot.

I tried to install Bitdefender but had to give up.

Uninstalled Kaspersky and MB.
Ran Registry First Aid platinum, many, many times (Regcleaner. Many reboots)

Everything is now back to my new "normal":
Many flashing "CMD-windows" (for 0.1s, not possible to read/record). Never stops. 2 per minute, 5 per minute...

..and of course 3 of old culprits:
1) AMDRServ.exe (Radeon Settings: Host Service)

2) Werfault.exe (Windows Error Reporting Fault, Windows Problem Reporting)

3) FilCoAuth.exe (The process known as Microsoft OneDriveFile Co-Authoring Executable belongs to software Microsoft OneDrive)

Most installed programs runs OK. Faststone capture still behaves very irrationally.

NEVER had any problems with Microsoft programs, notepad, office during this war...

I assume I just have to buy a new CPU...and keep my fingers crossed.
If that fixes everything, I assume the vendor will refund...

Tried:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
sfc /scannow

Nothing wrong, nothing to repair.

Will now try CHKDSK/F.
It ran after reboot..and reported "Now repairing C" (or something like that).
But Werfault and other pop-up error reports are still there..

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please follow-up after you swap the CPU.

By the way, booting with a Live Linux distro (from a USB drive or DVD/CD) does not write anything to your SSD/HDD. It runs the OS out of your main memory. A test drive of sorts.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=274

Use Rufus (as mentioned before) to write the ISO to a suitable USB drive and then boot from that drive.

Reactions: ArnsteinB

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Please follow-up after you swap the CPU.

By the way, booting with a Live Linux distro (from a USB drive or DVD/CD) does not write anything to your SSD/HDD. It runs the OS out of your main memory. A test drive of sorts.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=274

Use Rufus (as mentioned before) to write the ISO to a suitable USB drive and then boot from that drive.

While I'm waiting for the vendor to check my GPU, I tested out your Linux-suggestion.

The USB worked fine on my old Samsung Ultra 7 laptop, but Linux wouldn't continue after the first screen (5 choices) on my PC.

Could this be another "evidence" for a faulty CPU?

(Ubuntu 20.04 (also tried Linux Mint 19.3)
Tried mounting the ISO-file with both Etcher and Rufus.
Secure boot : Disabled
OS type: Other OS
Followed instructions to the point.)

P.s. Thanks for the Linux-reminder. I'm not "scared" of it anymore ;-) But, I need Autocad and Chief Architect for work, and Photoshop for hobby/work. And a LOT of other programs.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I'm waiting for the vendor to check my GPU, I tested out your Linux-suggestion.

The USB worked fine on my old Samsung Ultra 7 laptop, but Linux wouldn't continue after the first screen (5 choices) on my PC.

Could this be another "evidence" for a faulty CPU?

(Ubuntu 20.04 (also tried Linux Mint 19.3)
Tried mounting the ISO-file with both Etcher and Rufus.
Secure boot : Disabled
OS type: Other OS
Followed instructions to the point.)

P.s. Thanks for the Linux-reminder. I'm not "scared" of it anymore ;-) But, I need Autocad and Chief Architect for work, and Photoshop for hobby/work. And a LOT of other programs.
It does indicate some sort of (potential) issue with your hardware. Linux is quite forgiving and will boot on most systems with minimal fuss.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I have just installed a new CPU (Ryzen 7 3700X) , and not a single error message so far :)

I have also installed a new GPU (ASUS ASUS Radeon RX 5500 XT DUAL EVO 8GB), but there were no problems with the GPU I had borrowed (Radeon RX560), so the CPU was probably the culprit all the time.
I/we will probably never know if the CPU damaged 2 MB's, 2 sticks of RAM and a GPU...

I haven't got any reply/refund for the GTX 1660 TI I returned for another check 9 days ago. I don't want that back anyway, or a new one, since I didn't get OpenGL with it.

I will credit you for solving the problem...as soon as I find out how...(Update: Is marking one of your answers as "Best answer" how you do it..? Well, that what is what I have done now)

Hoping for many trouble free years now, at least in regards to my PC :)

Last edited: