[SOLVED] I recently upgraded cooler but still higher temps ?

Jan 5, 2022
MSI aegis prebuilt
intel i7 11700k CPU
Z590 MSI ces wifi motherboard

The system runs hot no matter what, tired everything the idle temps are between 60c to 66c and while gaming it hits around 85c to 88c I am not sure what is causing this.
Upgraded all the fans, using the Fuma 2 cooler based on my research it shouldn't push more than 68c while gaming. Airflow is also decent, running benchmark tests while the case is open still presents the same temps.
I am starting to think its a defective processor or motherboard.
At first the prebuilt came with a 120mm AIO threw that away and got the Fuma 2 based on many people's suggestions but I am really unhappy already mounted it 3 times but not a single change in temps 5c here and there. I am starting to think if I am doing something wrong or that's the max this cooler can push?
Or could it be some default settings this bios comes with?

View: https://imgur.com/a/gtFcyJK

Last edited:
Solution
Some things have already been pointed out by others, but:

1)The chassis has poor airflow, particularly at the front: https://us-store.msi.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=735
Top exhaust fans are a detriment to the cpu cooler, but the benefits to exhausting the gpu's heat tend to overshadow that.

2)
cannot find default settings and configuration for this processor
Because there aren't any, save for turbo short, turbo long, and turbo duration. The selling point of K cpus is that they are completely tunable as the user desires - with a Z series board, of course.
Turbo short, or PL2, is 250w. Turbo long, or PL1, is 125w. Boost duration, or Tau, is 56 seconds.

3)It is normal for motherboards to apply more...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The 11th gen Intel CPU run pretty warm and are designed to run up to 100C before they throttle.

The Scythe, as good as it is for a budget cooler, isn't the optimal solution for that CPU. I would be considering things like Noctua, Be Quiet Dark Rock, AIO, etc.
I use a Noctua on my 11600K and it hits 80's for gaming. Typically in the 30's-40's on idle or mild tasking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe some pictures of the interior would help.[upload images through imgur.com]

Seeing that it's an Msi prebuilt, I'm wondering if Msi's enhanced turbo or a Dragon Center OC isn't running. Neither is going to be helping your situation.

60c. plus at idle tells me that there is something wrong with the cooler or the mount.
You should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient temperature.
Dumb question, did you remove a protective mylar cover from the bade first?

When tightening down the cooler, did you do so a bit at a time in a criss cross pattern?
If not, it would not be level.

Are the cooler fans running?
Are they both moving air in the same direction?

What is your case and fan arrangement?
Does your case draw in airflow equivalent at least to the two 120mm fans that the cooler uses?

MSI, may indeed boost the performance on it's own.
Use balanced wondows power profile, not performance.

Jan 5, 2022
Isn't that a dual tower cooler with two 120 mm fans?

Idling over 60 is obviously cuckoo.

Have you checked temps with more than 1 app?

Are those temperature monitoring apps known to be the most recent versions?
Yes I have used different programs to measure the temps. I am getting about 65 temps on 10% usage about 85c while gaming, I have tried everything but no solution to my problem. Is this some config within my bios that my motherboard is automatically pushing the cpu or OCing . I am not an expert at this.

Jan 5, 2022
The 11th gen Intel CPU run pretty warm and are designed to run up to 100C before they throttle.

The Scythe, as good as it is for a budget cooler, isn't the optimal solution for that CPU. I would be considering things like Noctua, Be Quiet Dark Rock, AIO, etc.
I use a Noctua on my 11600K and it hits 80's for gaming. Typically in the 30's-40's on idle or mild tasking.
Dont you think that is a little too much ?? Most people on reddit discord and other reviews claim they are getting around 65c-75c max while gaming same setup while its not OC'd of course.
I am unable to userstand because mine is at stock PL1 125w and PL2 250w so it should not be that hot what I am also confused if I mounted it the right way as I verified it 3 times remounting everything seems to be perfectly in place. What can go wrong in the mounting method I followed the exact instructions no drama. The fans are also rotating.

Jan 5, 2022
Cool looking case but very bad airflow.
even with the panels and side plate off it still runs at almost the same temps so i am worried I also went around and added 2 more extra fans and replaced the stock fans with coolermaster fans with pvm. Could it be some sore for high voltage set my the motherboard by default?

Jan 5, 2022
60c. plus at idle tells me that there is something wrong with the cooler or the mount.
You should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient temperature.
Dumb question, did you remove a protective mylar cover from the bade first?

When tightening down the cooler, did you do so a bit at a time in a criss cross pattern?
If not, it would not be level.

Are the cooler fans running?
Are they both moving air in the same direction?

What is your case and fan arrangement?
Does your case draw in airflow equivalent at least to the two 120mm fans that the cooler uses?

MSI, may indeed boost the performance on it's own.
Use balanced wondows power profile, not performance.

here is the details I am following IN and OUT mechanism with my fans
In from the front and out, the rest 3 do you think it has to be a poor mount?
I have mounted it like 4 times so far this month itself no change max around 5c here and there also pasted used like one of the best paste in the market. But mostly it's the same with the temps what do you think can go wrong while mounting I will try your crisscross method do you think it matters so much?

Jan 5, 2022
Try turning off the top fans.
I think they are sucking the front cooling air and sending them up and out of the case before it has a chance to go through the cpu cooler.
I have also tired that variation, will try it again.
I also tried to do it the other way where the first fan on the top pushes in air while the other out pushes out very negligible change in thermals 2c or 3c change here and there max.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Does anyone think it could be a defective cooler? I don't know what would happen to an air cooler to make it underperform but maybe try RMAing the cooler? Maybe the mounting block is warped, a blockage somewhere?

Jan 5, 2022
Does anyone think it could be a defective cooler? I don't know what would happen to an air cooler to make it underperform but maybe try RMAing the cooler? Maybe the mounting block is warped, a blockage somewhere?
how do I know if it a defective cooler, is there a way to test it. Well if I go into the bios settings I get around 43c to 45c idle temps. Returning it is not possible I had it shipped all the way to uganda so it was a gamble the cooler seems all right. I got it touch with the online support and they seem to say its could be a defective mobo but I am not sure.

I am also thinking it could be a minute mounting error but unable to find the mistake I made I followed everything on the instructions also used different pastes but no improvement.
There might be a solution coming with the msi future bios update never know.

40c. at idle is a lot better than 60c.
Reading the bios temp is likely the most accurate.
I think you are ok.

Start HWmonitor.
Then run a simple CPU-Z stress test and monitor the temperatures.
If you see a max of 100c. the processor has throttled to protect itself.
So long as it keeps on going, without shutting down, you will be ok.
Gaming loads do not load all threads like a stress test does.
If you are seeing 85c. while gaming, you are ok.

I don't know if I have ever heard of an air cooler failing. The fan, yes.
I suppose it is possible, but I doubt that is the case here.
Scythe makes good coolers.

In mounting, do not use too much paste which is a common error.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is a better conductor of heat than air.
But, not as good as metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure without trapping any air.
It is hard to use too little.
The paste needs to only cover the main part of the cpu die; that is where the cpu heat is concentrated.
Edge to edge coverage is probably too much.

Reactions: Lafong
Jan 5, 2022
40c. at idle is a lot better than 60c.
Reading the bios temp is likely the most accurate.
I think you are ok.

Start HWmonitor.
Then run a simple CPU-Z stress test and monitor the temperatures.
If you see a max of 100c. the processor has throttled to protect itself.
So long as it keeps on going, without shutting down, you will be ok.
Gaming loads do not load all threads as a stress test does.
If you are seeing 85c. while gaming, you are ok.

I don't know if I have ever heard of an air cooler failing. The fan, yes.
I suppose it is possible, but I doubt that is the case here.
Scythe makes good coolers.

In mounting, do not use too much paste which is a common error.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is a better conductor of heat than air.
But, not as good as metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure without trapping any air.
It is hard to use too little.
The paste needs to only cover the main part of the cpu die; that is where the cpu heat is concentrated.
Edge to edge coverage is probably too much.

I ran the CPU-z test getting around 77c is that ok?
with the paste, I did the criss-cross pattern, not much of a difference.
the next few times I started smearing it but used a different brant the tube comes with a flat applier so I had to follow the given instructions which were to smear it and I was being a lot generous could this be the issue? Because I saw a video from gamerNexus and he chucks like a lot of it to test it and turns out the results are very minimal of 1c to 2c
Basically, I have redone the mount and thermal solution like 6 times. Also, do you think I should give it time to sit in maybe I didn't give the pc enough time to rest and let the thermal solution cure ?? I read somewhere that I should at least give it 200 hours.
I remember getting 42c idle when I mounted it for the first time but the stress tests were giving me very high temps so I went to check the mount turns out I put one of the grooves upside down while mounting the cooler. But I fixed it right away but the idle temps have never been that same also I saw a few scratches under my cooler too after the miss-mount. I am aware that it shouldn't be a big issue as the paste will cover those scratches.

Is it possible that the mobo is automatically applying higher volts to the processor or something like that without my knowledge.
All those results are uploaded with my Imgur link above.
where can I find the default settings so that I can have them set up in my bios.

Stress test on xtu doesn't go more than 77c but while gaming it can hit 82c but I can understand that because of the gpu temps
also my mainboard temps go around the same 77c or 80c

Jan 5, 2022
Intel i7 11700k runs hot, cannot find default settings and configuration for this processor, or is it a defective piece, maybe motherboard issue too.

Recently bought a prebuilt, the system ran hot so I upgraded to a pretty decent cooler based on the suggestions I got on the web but I am still unhappy with the results 85c while gaming and 55c to 60c while idle, tried remounting multiple times didn't really help also used different thermal pastes.
Starting to think it's the mobos fault is it automatically running the CPU at higher volts?
I set it to stock cooler too at the bios menu. Here are my settings is it running at the default or something is off if so how do I change this.
z590 msi pro wifi ces

Aegis RS 11TE-089US

intel i7 11700k

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
A couple of things stand out to me,

1). Make your front and top fans IN and only have the back fan as OUT, This will shove as much cool air into the case as possible.
or,
You could try back fan as IN and the front and top fans as OUT as this would release as much hot air in the case, as possible.

2). I saw in a post you live in Uganda, That might explain the higher room temps at idle, your climate average of 26c, is alot warmer than the average 20c.

with the results of "85c while gaming and 55c to 60c while idle" it seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022
Intel i7 11700k runs hot, cannot find default settings and configuration for this processor, or is it a defective piece, maybe motherboard issue too.

Recently bought a prebuilt, the system ran hot so I upgraded to a pretty decent cooler based on the suggestions I got on the web but I am still unhappy with the results 85c while gaming and 55c to 60c while idle, tried remounting multiple times didn't really help also used different thermal pastes.
Starting to think it's the mobos fault is it automatically running the CPU at higher volts?
I set it to stock cooler too at the bios menu. Here are my settings is it running at the default or something is off if so how do I change this.
z590 msi pro wifi ces

Aegis RS 11TE-089US

intel i7 11700k

I am more of a troubleshooter myself thanks for the info I have tried that variation too even with the case completely open. I basically tried everything and now looking for help. With the intake, the thing that works for me right now is 1 Fan IN and the other one OUT on the TOP. Res all is a default.
60c on idle is weird I don't understand my CPU cooler has a few tiny scratches but I believe the paste will cover that. Some videos say that more paste doesn't really matter I was a bit generous with my paste. Idle temps on bios are 42 to 45c but when I boot the pc the temps hit 60c on 8% to 10% CPU usage. 27c ambient means I should not get more than 45c max? It's usually 10c to 15c from ambient.

Last edited: