Question I replaced my PSU capacitor and when I jumped it, it worked. But when I put it back in the case it sparked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2022
I have a 400w psu that blew a capacitor. I did some online research and got to work on replacing it with an equivalent capacitor (completely identical).
For a few minutes it run smoothly when I jumped it but when I put it in the case, it suddenly spark and refused to run. I took it apart again and now, the fan spins then stops with the light no longer coming on. On the third try it sparked again and now I smell smoke.

What happened.

Sounds like something else, some OTHER component, was responsible for the damage to the capacitor in the first place and replacing the capacitor was much like giving somebody cough medicine when they have a cold. Sure, it helps temporarily fix the symptom but it does not correct the fundamental issue which is either that you have been invaded by a virus or that you have some other component that is just going to keep damaging the capacitor.

In general we tend to SERIOUSLY frown on trying to repair PC power supplies due to the need for very expensive gear and a lot of technical training in order to actually figure out what is wrong AND the very real danger of seriously hurting or killing yourself by playing around inside one.

Replace it with a new unit and move on.

I can't even think of any PSU at precisely 400W that's worth the cost of the cardboard box that the replacement capacitor came in, let alone worth the effort of actually working on it unless it's a purely educational endeavor.

There are. But it doesn't mean that trying to fix it vs replacing it is a good idea even if it is worth the price of the parts, or box. If it's new enough that it still has value then it should be under warranty. If it's not still under warranty then it is either REALLY old or was a cheap quality unit to begin with and in either case it still doesn't make sense to attempt repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.