Question I replaced my Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil with an RTX 2070 Super about a year ago and I'm wondering if I'm gotten rid of all of the AMD drivers

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
So I replaced the 5700XT with an RTX 2070 Super and a year ago and I'm having weird issues when I use applications of my PC. Sometimes I will be using Chrome and only using 4 tabs and after a couple of hours it will crash stating that there is not enough memory which is odd considering I have 16GB of ram available.

I've always wondered does the issue have something to do with me not removing all of the drivers associated with the 5700XT when replacing it? I'm wondering is there a way for me to completely get rid of any remaining drivers etc?

Any helpful information would be great , thank you!

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
sound more like ram issue
malware scan the system?
test with chrome without any extension
I've done tons of malware scans with no results. I was thinking that it could be mining malware or something but the Virus apps that I have used haven't detected any mining virus.

This issue has been going on for months. It just started happening maybe 6 months after I built the PC. It was working fine up to that point. The crashing does not happen as much when I turn off Adblocker in Chrome but it still can happen after a few hours of using the browser without any extensions enabled.

Also I started using my old ten year old desktop for about a month (it has 8GB of ram and a i5 2500 with non-SSD boot drive) and I can have 30 tabs open in Chrome and it will never crash nor will a pop up message appear stating that I have run out of memory for some reason.

I had been advised to re-install Windows fresh in a previous thread I made on the issue. I am seriously considering doing this at this stage. I just thought it could possibly be a kind of graphics card issue or something?

About a year. I'm worried I may have installed a mining virus that uses up my RAM in the background perhaps? I don't know...

If malware scan does not give any results, I think you have two things to try:

1. If you have multiple ram sticks, leave only 1 at the time, and test to see how it goes.

2. You should backup everything thats important, and clean install Windows 10.

If this is some sort of malware, then installing Windows should fix it, but be carefull with the files you bakcup and restore.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
If malware scan does not give any results, I think you have two things to try:

1. If you have multiple ram sticks, leave only 1 at the time, and test to see how it goes.

2. You should backup everything thats important, and clean install Windows 10.

If this is some sort of malware, then installing Windows should fix it, but be carefull with the files you bakcup and restore.

Okay I'll follow your advice.

If I dragged and dropped my files that are on my boot drive onto my secondary drives is there a chance that the malware can hide itself in those files and spread itself onto the non-boot drives?

Which method of reinstalling Windows 10 do you recommend to me though? There's a function that's built into Windows 10 that allows you to reset the PC like shown here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHZueEZe9s&ab_channel=RichardTech

But then there's the other way of installing it using Windows Media Tool and a USB key.

I'm not sure which one is preferable for my case? The first option seems to be the most convenient.

This is just a suggestion.

I always create a new installation device using windows media tool -https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If I were in your place and sure about a posible malware, I would get my windows media tool usb ready drive from a secure PC (friend, office, etc).

And yes before restoring the backup, make sure to install a good AV and Antimalware program and perform a complete deep scan of all those old files.

Also be carefull about mails, attached files and "strange/unknonw" links, since those are usually the door for all kinds of malware, including viruses.

There are lots of things that comes to my mind but I can not write about everything.