Question I spilled tea on my laptop's keyboard ?

May 17, 2024
I spilled a cup of tea on the keyboard of my Lenovo Legion laptop.

I turned off the laptop immediately. Dry it with a towel and tuned it upside down.

I opened it to check for water spots (i didnt find any but only some droplets on the heatsink and keybaord to motherboard connection. I think that most of the tea leaked trough the monitor hinge

After i was sure it was dry i tried starting it. The Legion splash screen appeared and then it turned black.

The laptop starts up. I can connect the hdmi and it works, the dedicated gpu works. Ram works but the screen is still black. And using hdmi i dont see internal monitor anywhere, only my tv which is plugged in via hdmi.

Did i dodged a bullet? Is the mb okay? Its only the display?

I would still carefully disassemble it and clean it. You could still have something on the board that will over time corrode
You just need some small swabs and alcohol. You want at least 91% which is commonly sold, 99% is better but is hard to find in general stores. I would disconnect the battery from the motherboard just to be 100% sure it is off but then very carefully wipe down anything you can easily get to. I would not pull the fans or heatsinks. Maybe you get lucky and you can even fix the monitor if it is just gunk shorting something out and you did not damage parts.

Did i dodged a bullet? Is the mb okay? Its only the display?
i've had many owners contact me about spills and ask to help them.
usually i will break down the entire system and carefully clean everything.
anywhere that residual liquid may be is a danger to the system.

sometimes the systems turn out okay and live out there life with no issue.
sometimes they would function for a short time and out of nowhere show major malfunction through motherboard, GPU, PSU, depends..
sometimes they just failed to ever post again, but some components would still be fine.

every situation like this is completely different.

i wouldn't say you dodged a bullet if your laptop's onboard screen is damaged.
though you may be able to find a replacement and re-assemble it yourself or have a local repair shop do it for you.

May 17, 2024
i've had many owners contact me about spills and ask to help them.
usually i will break down the entire system and carefully clean everything.
anywhere that residual liquid may be is a danger to the system.

sometimes the systems turn out okay and live out there life with no issue.
sometimes they would function for a short time and out of nowhere show major malfunction through motherboard, GPU, PSU, depends..
sometimes they just failed to ever post again, but some components would still be fine.

every situation like this is completely different.

i wouldn't say you dodged a bullet if your laptop's onboard screen is damaged.
though you may be able to find a replacement and re-assemble it yourself or have a local repair shop do it for you.
It could be that. I did shake the laptop upside down, maybe it disconnected the display cable best case scenario. I will get it to a service for a proffesional clean. Maybe I'm lucky and I wont need to replace the screen. Everything works except the display. Even the keyboard works good and its not sticky .The thing is that the display to mb connector is under the heatpipes and I'm a little nervous going down there. Better let the professionals handle it! Thanks for your comment!

May 17, 2024
UPDATE:

24 HOURS LATER the display is working again. I did missed a bullet!

I have no water damage on the display itself. Gotta take it asap to a proffesional cleaner to get rid of the remaining possible debries,inside the chassis

Thanks everyone for the support!