[SOLVED] I spilled water over my pc and I need some tips.

Oct 14, 2021
So I’m dumb and I spilled water on my pc, there’s a fan cage on top of the casing so that’s how the water got in, it wasn’t a lot when I opened the case I couldn’t find water drops anywhere so I dried it only in the most reachable places without having to deconstruct the whole pc because I can’t do that :) It’s a gaming pc with an RTX 3070. When I plug the thing in it lights up but the pc won’t turn on. So my question is if I fried the gpu or if I just have to wait for the rest of the water (that’s possibly there but I can’t see it because I’m not able/ won’t deconstruct my components) to dry out and try turning it on later? Or should I just put in the shop and see what the repairmen have to say? I’m down bad and all I need to hear are good news saying something like “your pc is fine you just have to wait”

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Modern PCBs are relatively resistant to shorts and spills. There is definitely some hope that everything will be fine. There are videos that JayzTwoCentz did where he was literally squirting a spray bottle with water on the back of a GPU while the computer was on and there was little resulting damage dealt to it. And a video where Linus and Electroboom were basically tasering a bunch of components to simulate ESD and they couldn't kill anything.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should have left it alone for several days.

Not really any way to answer if you damaged something, or if there is still a water caused short preventing it from working.

Shop would be the best option in this case.

Although there is nothing stopping you from taking it apart and looking for more water, it would dry better that way as well. Still, if a component is broken and you have no replacement parts to test with, going to be a struggle to troubleshoot this one component at a time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think it's too late now. You should've shut it down and taken it apart as soon as it happened. You made things more difficult when you tried to turn it back on.
If you can't take it apart, get someone else to take it apart - like at the shop, as that seems to be the best option here.

Gonna be some time to figure out what went kaput now.

Last edited:
Modern PCBs are relatively resistant to shorts and spills. There is definitely some hope that everything will be fine. There are videos that JayzTwoCentz did where he was literally squirting a spray bottle with water on the back of a GPU while the computer was on and there was little resulting damage dealt to it. And a video where Linus and Electroboom were basically tasering a bunch of components to simulate ESD and they couldn't kill anything.

Reactions: NeedPcTips
Solution
Oct 14, 2021
I think it's too late now. You should've shut it down and taken it apart as soon as it happened. You made things more difficult when you tried to turn it back on.
If you can't take it apart, get someone else to take it apart - like at the shop, as that seems to be the best option here.

Gonna be some time to figure out what went kaput now.
I honestly panicked when it happened I even think my heart froze for a few seconds. I called my friend who knows stuff about pcs and he said that my pc might have an emergency shutdown system for stuff like this, I’ve dried the pc with a hair fan of course I didn’t set it on hot and I kept it on low air to make sure I don’t <Mod Edit> anything else up, the water might have been coke and even tho I dried it it still might be in the processor so I think I’m just gonna take it to the shop ;( but thank you anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: