Question I swung lever too far and broke amd tab

skyz_ero

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Hi all. This will be the first time I've built a computer in over 10 years, so please be kind. Lol

I have tried searching in no particular order but couldn't find an answer, "broke lock/unlock tab amd am4 near lever cpu socket..."

This linked image shows the tab that broke on mine (not my pic): https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/co..._accidentally_broke_off_this_little/#lightbox

When I removed the cpu from another mobo, I had to swing the lever back until I heard a click, in order to remove the cpu, as it was held good otherwise. On this build, oh I surely heard a click swinging the lever past 90 degrees, and broke the lock/unlock tab (I'm thinking I should have pushed the tab outward first to unlock before using the lever, but now the tab is broken. Aside from the tab breaking off, the new cpu did end up going in and the lever went down and locked as expected. Aio was installed and the computer is working perfectly.

My question: will I be able to upgrade the cpu in the future? I'm concerned that if I unlock the lever and swing to unlock that the lever will come apart from the socket. Maybe this is the last mobo/cpu mating cycle? Or will it be ok so long as I don't push it past the 90 degrees? Maybe I'll have to get a new motherboard if I want to replace the cpu? Or am I just over thinking it and nothing will happen? Does anyone know what actually happened now that the tab broke and what to expect?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there,

Well, I think you're possibly over thinking it too much. Can't say for sure if you wuld be able to take the CPU fully out again, and then not get back in. But, you already have a 5950x, which is EoL for CPU's on that platform. So you're not necessarily gonna have to swap out the CPU again. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

I would just be wary of any movement when or if you have to release the lock again. Watch out with the cooler when putting it back. I don't think it would interfere with it though.

skyz_ero

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I note to be careful.

I currently have a Ryzen 3600 (I added a list of my build to my signature now). If I were to upgrade next, I think it would be to a Ryzen 5600. I hope when that time comes, I can gently lift the lever and remove the 3600 the moment the socket releases it. Then lower in the 5600 and lock the lever down. That would be ideal.

I am just looking for reassurance that the lever won't fall apart the moment it goes past a certain point with no way to lock the new cpu into the socket, rendering the mobo useless.

Last edited:
will I be able to upgrade the cpu in the future?
Maybe this is the last mobo/cpu mating cycle?
Or will it be ok so long as I don't push it past the 90 degrees?
Maybe I'll have to get a new motherboard if I want to replace the cpu?
Or am I just over thinking it and nothing will happen?
Does anyone know what actually happened now that the tab broke and what to expect?
That piece, you broke off, is meant to stop cpu release lever for going too far.
Generally - inconsequential. Should not cause any issues.

You can probably glue that broken piece back with some super glue.

Reactions: skyz_ero

skyz_ero

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
That piece, you broke off, is meant to stop cpu release lever for going too far.
Generally - inconsequential. Should not cause any issues.

You can probably glue that broken piece back with some super glue.
I was wondering if I could superglue it back too. I am concerned that I might accidentally glue something else in the process, locking the lever in place, making the situation worse than it already was. Ok, if I decide to glue it, I will be extra careful. Thanks