Question I TB exFAT Flash drive corrupts all my files.

Jun 26, 2019
Hello, I need help. My 1TB flash drive, with the exFat file system, corrupts all my files, times it will delete, some don't open.
I have tried changing the file system and it won't. What should I do?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I need help. My 1TB flash drive, with the exFat file system, corrupts all my files, times it will delete, some don't open.
I have tried changing the file system and it won't. What should I do?
How much did you pay for this 1TB flash drive?
If under $150, it is absolutely a fake.

A $0.50 4 or 8GB drive, with firmware modified to report as "1TB". Whatever you had on that thing is gone gone gone. (actually, never was there in the first place.)

exFAT doesn’t support journaling, try formatting it in NTFS.
Most people, when they consider the implementation of a journaling FS, are concerned with FS resilience and data integrity.

With those goals in mind, NTFS is more of a Fisher-Price approach to journaling, since NTFS does not do data or block-level journaling--it is a record-oriented meta data only journaling approach--designed primarily as a performance enhancer rather than a means of enhancing data persistence.

Furthermore, all NTFS objects are files. Metadata is stored in files, and the journal is just a file stored at a midpoint within the FS boundaries. As such, all NTFS structures are subject to fragmentation (NTFS does not self-defragment), corruption, and loss--leading one to reasonably conclude that NTFS installations don't age very well at all.

If your goal, in using a journaling FS, is data integrity, you would be far better-off using a non-ms, data-journaling filesystem; and maintain multiple back-up copies of your data.