Question I think my cpu cooler is leaking oil.

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Hi, i was cleaning my computer today, and when i wiped my cpu cooler i found some yellowish fluid in there, is that oil and should i be worried about it and do something the image: https://ibb.co/rp41Q5d
Edit: i have an amd stock cooler

Last edited:

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
i have found heatsinks come fresh out of the packaging with some residual oil on their pipes.
this wouldn't be harmful in any way.

if this is some type of liquid cooler i would be more concerned.

you really need to include much more information regarding your system and components.
Could you specify what information? And its amd stock cooler

Could you specify what information?
its amd stock cooler
what cooler and where exactly you have found this oil.
even being the stock AMD cooler, where exactly you found this oil and what type of concentration would impact any possible issue.

you can always just remove the entire cooler and wipe it down if it's just residual from the manufacturing process but it wouldn't be necessary.

if it is running or dripping from another component that could mean a much more dangerous issue.

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
what cooler and where exactly you have found this oil.
even being the stock AMD cooler, where exactly you found this oil and what type of concentration would impact any possible issue.

you can always just remove the entire cooler and wipe it down if it's just residual from the manufacturing process but it wouldn't be necessary.

if it is running or dripping from another component that could mean a much more dangerous issue.
Its on the inside side of the ring, also it has been in use for a month already. https://ibb.co/CJkLRgX

Kappa325366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
Inside the red ring.....

Get a bright flashlight and look for bug/spider parts....

However, per @JohnBonhamsGhost :

"if it is running or dripping from another component that could mean a much more dangerous issue. "

Use the inspection to look for leaky, swollen, damaged components under and around the fan.
What does bug/spider parts mean? And the cpu cooler is the only component whats capable of getting oil in there im pretty sure

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing for you to really service IF it's fan bearing grease/oil. It's caused by gravity. Fans that use grease/oil, as opposed to ones that use ball bearings, are going to have some seepage over time.
If the cooler is facing upwards, the seepage goes from very slow to slow.

I don't see warranty doing anything about something that normally happens - unless you can find some actual damage somewhere.