I think my CPU is fried, NEED HELP

witkti0525

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
So a few days ago my PC shut off while in use and won't turn back on. First i did the paper clip test on the PSU. It all worked until i tried to plug the PSU into the CPU1 slot. I then put the 24-Pin connector back in the motherboard. once again it would only start up with the PSU cable unplugged from the CPU1 slot. This leads me to believe that the issue is with my CPU, but i'm worried it may also be my motherboard. Please respond with help as soon as possible, as i would like to fix this by the end of the week.

Solution
Unless you were doing something to fry your cpu, it's probably not the problem. The first and most likely culprit is your PSU. The second would be your Motherboard. If your PSU did fail, it could have taken both or either of the CPU/motherboard with it.
Unless you were doing something to fry your cpu, it's probably not the problem. The first and most likely culprit is your PSU. The second would be your Motherboard. If your PSU did fail, it could have taken both or either of the CPU/motherboard with it.

Solution

witkti0525

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

But I can boot up the computer with all cords from the Psu connected except the cpu1 cord. When I plug that in nothing boots just the fans make a tiny twitch. So I really doubt it's the Psu. What would I be able to do to fix this?

You are mistaken. The paperclip test just means that the PSU isn't totally dead. It could have entire essential components completely non-functional and still pass a paperclip test. Also, if the CPU is unpowered, your system is not booting. Unless the post screen displays, no booting is going on. Yes, fans turn on, but nothing actually fully powers on unless there is a functional cpu installed and powered.

witkti0525

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

So would you say to replace the Psu? I just don't want to change things just to end up spending more money in the end.

Since I'm not there, I can't tell you what to do. I would check all of your connections pretty thoroughly first. I would also swap in a spare PSU before buying a new one. Your problem could be pretty much anywhere: loose cable, bad RAM, loose RAM, bad Motherboard, short on motherboard, bad GPU, loose GPU, improperly connected fan, etc. I would check the PSU and its connections first. What I wouldn't do is blame the CPU unless I was doing something to damage it.

witkti0525

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

How would I test the Psu and connectors? Sorry I'm not too good with these things

You can check connectors by unplugging and firmly plugging every single one of them. You can test the PSU by taking it to a technician or by just swapping in a known working PSU to see if it fixes the problem.

Take out or unplug all of the components that are not essential for your computer to post. Only leave the CPU, CPU fan, RAM, and GPU plugged in. Use the integrated GPU if that is available.

TRENDING THREADS