Question I think my PC doesn't like XMP ?

MozerallaCheese

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2016
I made a post about this previously, but never new why it was doing it. My PC doesn't appear to like XMP as when I turn it on, it crashes intermittently. I know it's not a power issue, I know it's not CPU related as when turned off, it's completely fine. I have a feeling the RAM might be corrupt but not sure.

My PC:
  1. CPU - Intel I7-14700k
  2. Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI
  3. Cooler - Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite
  4. PSU - Corsair HX1000i Platinum, with normal 3 pin power plug (UK)
  5. RAM - Corsair Vengeance 6000mhz @ 32gb (2 x 16gb Sticks) - In slot 2+4
  6. GPU - No GPU yet (will soon have Asus STRIX RTX 4070 Super 12gb)
  7. Monitor - HP P24 G5 (running at 75hz)
  8. Cable - HDMI 1.2
Hope this is all the info you guys need. I've also attatched the previous threads picture

View: https://imgur.com/a/O1vwIew

Could also be the CPU's memory controller, but without another set of DRAM to test it's going to be almost impossible to figure out whether it's DRAM or CPU that is the issue since you're running XMP and it sounds like not having issues at JEDEC speed.

Things to try:
  • Reset the CMOS
  • Make sure BIOS is up to date
  • Verify the DRAM kit you bought is on the QVL for the motherboard (this really shouldn't matter at 6000, but better safe than sorry)
  • Check to see if the BIOS is removing power limits when enabling XMP and if it is set the power limits to 253W/320A maximum
  • Pull the DRAM out of the slots and verify it's all clean and no debris then put them back in
After that you're really likely left with replacing parts.