Question I think My PC is Infected

Dec 12, 2023
Computer is taking very long to start and it is a bit slower as well. And last week My facebook account was hacked. I just installed PCProtect because I noticed that Microsoft security is not working.

Dec 12, 2023
Device name Administrator
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
Device ID 5DCD41BE-ED69-41B7-A9C3-11F263081221
Product ID 00342-50421-49857-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎6/‎7/‎2021
OS build 19045.3693
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Dec 12, 2023
You mean my hard drive?

Local Disk (c) 1.81TB
1.36 TB used
459 GB free

Sorry if I misunderstood you ;)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally speaking, any time a virus isn't easy to remove, the best use of your time is booting to Windows install media, wiping the drive, and doing a full fresh install. Then you can restore your important files from one of your backups.

Here are a few things for you to check out

1. check what is running from start menu is their anything you dont recognise.
2. do a full virus scan
3. look in add/remove to see if their is anything you dont recognise that could have been installed at the same time as something else , change the top tab to sort by date.
4. Along the side of your list of programs you will see a tab somewhere on the right saying programs and features , windows sometimes puts things in this old style layout that does not go into add/remove.
5. run defender.
6. install and run antimalware bytes.

Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not be fully aware of how Malwarebytes works. Infections of any kind can be made up of many segments , if you clicked on anything it found before quarantining and deleting you might have seen it say something like joe bloggs pup 5 , this means that joe bloggs pup is made up of 5 segments.

This is the important bit.... Malwarebytes is one of the best programs around but it cant always get rid of all segments of something on the first scan/quarantine/delete. You must do repeated scans till it finds nothing.

Also try adwcleaner by the same company

footnote ... i stopped using facebook a long time ago because its easy to hack , i got faceboook .... somebody wants to talk to you messages which was strange because i had not even made my profile , i logged in on my spare pc .... could not get in until i did forget password ( somebody changed it ) , i got recover password email to get into facebook and discovered somebody had made a massive profile that was not me , thats how easy it is to hack

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasKinsley
Also remove pcprotect. Been working on computers a while and don’t know much about that name.

I’d recommend as well as malwarebytes, adwcleaner as someone else said, then install avast free antivirus. They have one scan option that should allow you to do a boot scan option that will intercept the computer booting. I’d let it delete anything it finds. If you get the pc clean, delete all of your system restore points. If I remember correctly the restore points are a protected area by Microsoft and sometimes stuff can hide in them. Hence why you delete them,