Question I think my pc running hot.. help please

Oct 12, 2019
I have a phantek evolve I believe case.
i7 9700k.
Asus rog astrix 370-I gaming mobo.

Corsair h60i water cooling with 2 corsair ml120 pro fans in a push/pull configuration in the back
I have a corsair ML140mm pro and 140mm phanteks fans as intake in the front
My cpu temps at idle are between 36-40c not sure if that's ok temps I read people having 24-30c idle

I have both radiator fans connected to the mobo set to standard
The fronts are connected to psu running full speed
Should I be worried??

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ultimately, idle temps don't tell much, they're only a slight indicator if something is obviously wrong. Overall, for your 9700K as long as you keep it below 85 degrees (recommended) whether it's idle or under load, you're fine. The max core temperature for the 9700k is 100 degrees C (throttle temp for a core).

Also remember that ambient temperatures make a huge difference, for every degree your room temperature is above normal conditions, you'll be a degree hotter under load:
  • An idle 9700K in a room that is 15 degrees might be 30 degrees C.
  • An idle 9700K in a room that is 30 degrees might be 45 degrees C.

So ultimately, unless you're hitting high temperatures whilst also under load, don't worry, every system an environment is different. As long as you keep it below 85 degrees (industry recommendation for intel CPUs) you're fine.

Oct 12, 2019
Thanks I live in nyc being that it not so hot this time of year gets me worried. I was thinking of upgrading from the h60 cooler to the corsair hydro h100i would it make a huge difference?

Oct 12, 2019
My final solution would be

Option 1: 2 140mm intake from front
Have the h115i pro on top with fans exhausting thru the radio out and 1 ml120 in back as exhaust.
Will this be ok??

Option 2 :be intake from both front and back and have the 2 140mm on the radiator as exchaust..

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Again I would stay by don't fix what isn't broken.
All in all 120mm radiator AIO aren't overly suited for the 9700K under heavy loads.

Run what you normally run (heavy load) for example gaming, monitor temps using HWInfo and see max temps then. If there is a problem, then you might want to consider upgrading.

Oct 12, 2019
Well I installed a h115i and still have horrible temps. Idle is around 38-40c when I say idle I do have BitTorrent on in background downloading stuff the cpu is around 20% and less and under stress test between 60-70 it dips to 56 here and there I'm assuming that's ok since I'm not closing to 80+ so I tried using intel performance maximizer it boosted the cpu to 4.8 and under stress it was between 65-74 idle 45-50c so I went back to wreck I'm guessing it's the case phanteks evolve mini itx fault or just a bad chip that cant get overclocked I'm not comfy with 75c temps under stress test

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
just a bad chip that cant get overclocked I'm not comfy with 75c temps under stress test
75 degrees under stress test conditions is absolutely fine.
The Tjunction for the 9700K is actually 100 degrees.

Keeping below 80 degrees simply means you're meeting industry recommendation, the idea is, if under the heaviest of loads you can keep it below 85 degrees (recommended) or 80 degrees (more recommended) then you're in tip top shape.

But technically the throttle core temp for the 9700K is 100 degrees. You're well within good shape. Especially if that's under stress test conditions.