[SOLVED] I think that my PC is terribly underperforming.

Jan 23, 2019
So, i just got a prebuilt PC for 450$ or so, and i think it is underperforming.

Specs:

Processor: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G 2.70GHz

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

1TB HDD

4GB RAM

Windows 10 with Game DVR and all that shiz disabled

I get 20 - 30 fps average on fortnite (normal match)

40 - 60 CS:GO Competitive and casual, 20 - 30 deathmatch

I honestly don't know what to do. I've tried ALL optimizing guides, all fps boost guides, EVERYTHING. I still can't get it to work.

On fortnite i have stuttering issues and fps issues with the smallest 3D Resolution, low settings, all low. I mainly need help with fortnite but other games are also appreciated.

My drivers are also up to date

Solution
You MIGHT need a BIOS upgrade to support the 2000 series Ryzens. The 2400g has integrated graphics as well.

Cooling/heatsink might be an issue, I don't know how things are arranged.

Honestly, I'd recommend taking it back. Paying $450 for what you have, plus having to pay more to upgrade, is NOT worth it.

There's a pretty good deal on this machine:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-tower/spd/xps-8930-desktop/DXCWVMAX001H

When you get it to the cart, enter the coupon code SAVE10 and it brings the price down to $476.99 (though I think there will be sales tax added, depending on what state you're in. I've been assuming you're in the US). Even with the i3 and the 1050Ti, it will be FAR superior to what you...
Jan 23, 2019
and help me solve this. so, i played a lil bit with the config and things on fortnite and got it to work 40-50 fps. but it's still stuttering because the textures won't load. i just bop up and down until the textures load or someone kills me

kanewolf

Titan

I can't. I don't game. Never played fortnite. Wouldn't know a thing about the game. I just know how your hardware works, or in your case works poorly.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You're using your hard drive as ram, which makes everything horrible. You're trying to play a game with somewhere between 1.5 and 2gb of ram as I'm sure 2gb are tied up just from windows and the integrated graphics. A 4gb ram computer with a junk GPU would likely do better.

I'm also curious what this friend with worse specs has for specs?

Jan 23, 2019
my friend's specs:

Intel I7-930 Bloomfield Quad Core Processor (2.80 Ghz,8mb Cache,qpi 4.8 Gt/sec,socket 1366,45nm,3 Year Warranty,retail Boxed)

Zotac GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3 PCIE X1 Passive PCI-E 1X DVI-D HDMI VGA

2GB Ram

250GB HDD

if you need anything else just ask me

also, i've got ultimate performance enabled and my gpu temps while gaming are between 29Celsius to 40 celsius

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately, the system overall is not great.

You also tend to pay more for a given amount of performance for an all-in-one or a laptop than you would to get the same performance out of a desktop. All in ones sometimes use a mix of laptop and desktop components.

Did you specifically need an all-in-one or two in one? I'm tempted to suggest returning this machine and seeing if a better one can be purchased or put together for about the same price or a little more.... but I'm guessing you got that because you didn't already have a monitor?

If the system allows upgrading, you might look into say a Ryzen 2400G, and getting a matched pair of high-speed 4GB RAM sticks.

But you have to find out if your system is user-upgradeable.

Jan 23, 2019
first off, you guys are great. yes king_v, you were right. i chose this because i didn't already have a monitor. i had a laptop back then, and i think it's better than this pc. actually, i could buy a monitor, and i wanted to buy a system with gtx 1060 6Gb, intel i5 3.2ghz and 8 gb of ram. but the staff forced me to buy this pc, but i insisted. they still told me these components are very modern and great at gaming. and i had no choice. i bought it and i was extremely dissapointed

Jan 23, 2019
ok king_v, that cpu or gpu or whatever it is, is incredible. very good price - quality report. i can surely afford that, but i don't know if my system is upgradable. do you have an idea of how can i find out??

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd say take it back. I mean, yes, technically the A12 is modern in that it's an AM4 chip, but this thing is crippled when it comes to gaming. If they told you it was great at gaming, they outright lied. It's a barely adequate budget system.

The i5 system you mentioned would've been FAR better.

If you have experience in assembling your own, people here can suggest a list of parts from PCPartPicker to try to fit within whatever budget you have. Additionally, sometimes HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc., have sales on their systems that can sometimes equal or occasionally even beat the cost of putting one together yourself.

Just remember that you should factor in the cost of Windows 10 as well if building your own.

Jan 23, 2019
i don't have experience in building pcs, but i can figure it out. the problem is, i can upgrade the cpu, but not the gpu, since that's integrated in the processor. and i still have it in warranty for 2 years. i could rip it open, but my parents would kill me, i have 13 years. so, you can suggest a pc part picker thingy, starting at 500$ and max 600$