I think we all need to rethink windows as an operating system for the PC

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of Microsoft and its poor products we are forced to use because of a software company's decision to not make a Linux version.

All of my machines are getting wiped. at my house, and at the computer store.

Every dell, hp, and acer I sell, I'm opening up the boxes, dumping their installs for Linux.

No more Microsoft.

I think you should let your customers decide whether they want windows or not. Remember the grass is always greener on the other side so have fun. I’ve used every windows since windows 3.11 now and they’ve all been pretty great except for vista and windows me

Trying to foist Linux on everybody probably isn’t the best thing to try to do

WildCard999

Titan

Maybe you should do half of your systems Linux & the other half Windows, many people who are comfortable with Windows may not want to learn a new OS.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

Well Microsoft didn't give anyone any options. So no, Microsoft days in the United States is over.

Because they forced everyone to use their os, and force others to hide linux in exchange for deals, and extra development support.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back in the day, you basically has DOS or Apple. DOS meant learning a language or it did nothing you wanted outside of the windows app. Apple was point and click. Linux isn't much different, to get anything really done, you still have to learn the language, and with derivatives like red-hat, lime, manjaro, Ubuntu etc there's even more differences. At least with Windows now, it's mostly still point and click. Any fool can use it. So that's where software designers put their money, into the multitudes of fools. You won't see any change in that until the day Linux becomes easier to use and compatible fully with anything Windows, at a much cheaper price. As long as HP, Dell, Lenovo etc are getting next to free liscencing deals from Microsoft, they won't be bailing anytime soon. Given the choice, for the same price, I'd take a better componented pc with Linux over a lesser with Windows, but my wife just wants something she can use, which means Windows comes out on top.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I switched all my PC's to Linux. Learning curve for most isn't much to overcome. For some it could be quite a daunting task. It has come a long way in the last few years. I like Manjaro because of it's roots in Arch. If you like a challenge it's well worth it.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

Well its quite simple. You see Microsoft made an embargo deal with the computer manufacturers not to install, nor offer Linux in the United States. However, since the 90's, Linux has been an install option outside of North America. On computers that don't have linux support to them, well, I will be discontinuing those models immediately.

WildCard999

Titan

I've been reading up on it since this thread was created, Linux Mint seems like a good start.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

The desktop offerings in linux are not that different and its not any more difficult than what she is used to. The only differences is how the files are filed (drives mounted as sub directory locations instead of drive letters). And how you get software besides direct downloads. The Debain software system is well developed and most of the major software players already have a .deb download option, or has submitted an install link to be put into the software database apps.

WildCard999

Titan

Damn, looks like I'm stuck with Windows for now. I'll just need to keep on an eye on Steam's progress with Linux.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

Updates are scheduled, it first checks it at boot time, then 24hrs after (if its running constant) updates are not applied automatically, and any changes require a password, so no surprises. This security feature has kept the bulk of malware infecting a machine. I've only heard of someone getting malware, but in that case, they were hosting a website from their home, and the network security plus the security on the machine was not configured correctly, Xfce would be the choice of desktop. The program itself might run faster on the linux machine, but the real performance advantage is internet packets are 20% bigger. so all that surfing, download and online activity is much faster. The drawback has been brand name software availability. So I doubt there is "Sky Rim" for Linux there since its an x-box developed game.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

We just need to convince the software companies to make a Linux version. Once they get tired of patching their dot-net app, they might see the light.

Also once they notice if they make the program without any Microsoft snap-in "glue" they will realize how faster it is without Microsoft in their software. This is what I heard from a programmer. Some software companies do release Linux versions (Blizzard is one of them) so I imagine the others will fall suit eventually.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

I've tested there Os along with some friends I let them test a dual boot machine (win7/X-Ubuntu) They didn't use the windows 7 side often, but find out how backwards computing got over the years with Windows. These people were over 55 so their activity was general email, internet, spread sheets and office. One was happy that out of the gate, it had a full office suite (libre office) and direct printing to pdf files.

USAFRet

Titan
"We" don't need to rethink anything. We're already using multiple operating systems.
Phone, ATM, bank, search engine, game server, console...
Your idiot "smart devices", the server at work, your NAS at home, your tablets...

All running different OS's.

The vast majority of people do not know nor care what "operating system" is on their devices.
They barely know the word "windows".
Ask 100 people who have a Ring device what "operating system" it runs on. 99 have zero clue. And more importantly, don't care.
And that Ring device OS is far more invasive than the gaming OS you happen to use.

I've given people a laptop with nothing but a base install of LinuxMint, and said here, go for it.
I told them exactly nothing about it, until 6 months later.
It had Firefox, it connected to the outside world...done. For that person and that use, there was zero difference vs something with Windows.

Personally, I have no problem with Windows. Then again, I don't try to force it into something it is not.
I also use Linux. Right now, I have 2x Linux VM's up and running. I use those constantly as well as the host Windows OS.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018

Thats a really good point. The laptop I had to reset for my parents I could have just set up with linux. I'm positive they would not have noticed. I think all it gets used for is checking email.

I also have no problem with windows. I will mainly back it because i'm not an apple fan so i like to bash on those guys. I have not really used linux for anything daily. a couple vms just playing around and learning it but most of the software that I need to run only works on windows so...ya.

sonwon1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
I've been using Linux for over 15 years now accept for gaming, dual boot. I am in the process of building a rig that will run Linux and Windows 10 concurrently. Windows only appears stable to me if I only use it for gaming. Check this video out.

This is two years ago. The technology is now more mature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk