[SOLVED] I took my Asus Geforce 970 apart somewhat to clean it- now I cannot quite get it back together.

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Is there anyone who might be willing to guide me theough it- like in a video chat? I don’t want to accidentally damage it. 😥

Solution
I had already found the breakdown video- and even my Dutch father-in-law did too- but the other video posted showing it being taken apart and put together could have been very helpful! As it was I used the breakdown video to figure out what I needed to do- Jaap explained I removed the fan but to put it back I had to remove the heatsink, attach it to the Fans again, then reapply thermal paste and attach the heatsink. Did it: removing the thermal paste from the copper on the heatsink was tricky, but another video on doing so gave me some tips that helped. Unfortunately I lacked alcohol or nail polish remover- but I had a special 3D glasses cleaning cloth and liquid for it that leaves no residue. I also used the tip of heating it with a...

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I had already found the breakdown video- and even my Dutch father-in-law did too- but the other video posted showing it being taken apart and put together could have been very helpful! As it was I used the breakdown video to figure out what I needed to do- Jaap explained I removed the fan but to put it back I had to remove the heatsink, attach it to the Fans again, then reapply thermal paste and attach the heatsink. Did it: removing the thermal paste from the copper on the heatsink was tricky, but another video on doing so gave me some tips that helped. Unfortunately I lacked alcohol or nail polish remover- but I had a special 3D glasses cleaning cloth and liquid for it that leaves no residue. I also used the tip of heating it with a hair dryer! That got the remaining parts off- the processor itself was pretty easy to clean, but I left the old paste that had settled around its outside.

So having already removed and cleaned each blade of the fan, and vacuumed clean the dusty heatsink, plus applied fresh thermal paste, I was able to put it back together completely, install it, and it worked.

Inly problem I had was knocking loose the power on my secondary drive- had to reattach it and all is good.

One problem does remain though I have a manual fix: since I got it, the fans don’t run unless its crazy hot and not much then. Installing MSI afterburner and manually setting the speeds it would go as the heat went up fixed this: but the heat could jve damaged it prior. Unfortunately this voided my warranty but it had technically expired anyway.

The issue I have with it is it overheating and my computer freezing: which is frustrating. Especially when it really shouldn’t be doing it. But MSIs program helps.

Solution