[SOLVED] I trying to decide between a r3 3100 or a r5 2600x to pair with my 1660 ti

Oct 8, 2020
I just can't decide.
I've got a 1660 ti at the moment.
My current cpu has just died on me so I had to send it back. I am looking for a replacement that has better performance than that. The previous cpu was the Ryzen 5 2400g. Im getting a refund of £132 and i want to know what are my options?

Solution
I'm an IT student so fastness would be very useful. Uve got 16gb of RAM as well. Ideally though it is for gaming. What impact does the 2 extra cores actually have? Because I had a quad core I just automatically saw the 6 core and thought thats the best idea. But the 3100 is so cheap so I'll be able to buy some other accessories

For mostly gaming use, the 3100 is faster over the 2600 especially at the price point.

For work that can take advantage of extra cores, then yes as both @Zerk2012 & @mdd1963 point out, the 2600 is the better choice. However, if you plan to use it to actually do work that will take advantage of the extra cores, you may want to look at something a little beefier than the 2600. (Not that it's...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I just can't decide.
My current cpu has just died on me so I had to send it back. I am looking for a replacement that has better performance than that. The previous cpu was the Ryzen 5 2400g. Im getting a refund of £132 and i want to know what are my options?

Hi @Lekker

Welcome to the forums. :)

What do you plan to use the PC for? For gaming, the R3 3100 is faster overall. Next it just comes down to cost where you live as the R3 3100 is also cheaper.

Oct 8, 2020
I just can't decide.
Hi @Lekker

Welcome to the forums. :)

What do you plan to use the PC for? For gaming, the R3 3100 is faster overall. Next it just comes down to cost where you live as the R3 3100 is also cheaper.
I'm an IT student so fastness would be very useful. Uve got 16gb of RAM as well. Ideally though it is for gaming. What impact does the 2 extra cores actually have? Because I had a quad core I just automatically saw the 6 core and thought thats the best idea. But the 3100 is so cheap so I'll be able to buy some other accessories

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

For mostly gaming use, the 3100 is faster over the 2600 especially at the price point.

For work that can take advantage of extra cores, then yes as both @Zerk2012 & @mdd1963 point out, the 2600 is the better choice. However, if you plan to use it to actually do work that will take advantage of the extra cores, you may want to look at something a little beefier than the 2600. (Not that it's bad by any means, but time IS money and you have to ask yourself, "What is my time worth?")

Entirely comes down to what you plan to use the PC for and your budget.

Solution