[SOLVED] i trying to overclock my i7 8700k to 5.0Ghz but when i try it in bios its get locked at 4.7ghz

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
i went to windows msconfig and enabled all 12 cores and i after could go to bios and get over 4.7ghz and put it in 5.0ghz windows was stable but cpu-z and task manager in performance told me that is only on 4.3GHZ still. i have power plan in highest and still no overclock

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I’m not sure what you are seeing in the BIOS but H370 boards are not intended for overclocking but I believe some do allow you to push all cores to max boost speed but not beyond. If you wanted to OC to 5.0 you needed a Z370 or Z390 motherboard.

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

my PSU is a

CORSAIR VS Series VS550 - PSU - 550W

i had the PSU in 8 month the conditions is perfect what i know of and it should work fine

My GPU is a 2060

i can make a full system specs later not right now tho......

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
update:
i can get a overclock to 5Ghz if i enable all 12 cores but windows does not see the overclock.
in Bios settings i can make min cache ratio to 47 max and max Cache ratio to 47 max nothing really happends in windows it stil only at 4,29Ghz

Last edited:

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
update:
i can get a overclock to 5Ghz if i enable all 12 cores but windows does not see the overclock.
in Bios settings i can make min cache ratio to 47 max and max Cache ratio to 47 max nothing really happends in windows it stil only at 4,29Ghz
8700k is 6core/12thread mate

I'm not sure you addressed your BIOS setting properly

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
8700k is 6core/12thread mate

I'm not sure you addressed your BIOS setting properly
you probably right but i went to the msconfig and enabled all 12 threads and then i could get my overclock above 47Ghz if i dont enable them all i cant get over 47Ghz in Bios its like it have a limit or something and when i do that it dosent show the overclock in task manager i only says its on 43Ghz

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
you probably right but i went to the msconfig and enabled all 12 threads and then i could get my overclock above 47Ghz if i dont enable them all i cant get over 47Ghz in Bios its like it have a limit or something and when i do that it dosent show the overclock in task manager i only says its on 43Ghz
Nothing about what you're describing sounds correct

You should not be overclocking from your desktop anyways. I would recommend going back to stock settings and doing a proper readup on overclocking. Here's a coffeelake guide to get started.

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Nothing about what you're describing sounds correct

You should not be overclocking from your desktop anyways. I would recommend going back to stock settings and doing a proper readup on overclocking. Here's a coffeelake guide to get started.
thanks for the fast reply ill try that but i didnt overclock in windows just went in msconfig and enable all the threats after that went in the Bios so my overclock could get over 47Ghz if i dont enable all the threats i could not get over the 47Ghz i dont know why

lorent

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
I’m not sure what you are seeing in the BIOS but H370 boards are not intended for overclocking but I believe some do allow you to push all cores to max boost speed but not beyond. If you wanted to OC to 5.0 you needed a Z370 or Z390 motherboard.
ohhhh yeah okay thank you so much
what would you recommend betwen Z370 and Z390