I updated my NIC Driver now my ping is twice what my other computers are??????

MiNe121

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
So I got a wild hair and decided to fix something that was not broken.. sound familiar.. I have been using the windows update driver for my mother board NIC and it had been working just fine. but my "Live update software" by Msi has been nagging me for months to update my NIC driver... so I finally did.. Now my ping on all my FPS games is double all my other computers in the house.. I have tried to uninstall the drivers via device manager, nothing. I have tried to "roll" the drivers back ...Nope.. Each time I scan for new hardware via the device manager it pulls the last drivers.. I promise "hand over heart" I will never use one of those driver finder software ever again.

Can you please tell me how to fix this.. I am willing to wipe and restart over this but I would rather not..
Thank you in advance.

Solution
you have to remove the driver package from the hidden driver store. It is kind of a pain. generally you disable the plug and play service, then use the pnputil.exe to remove the driver package. install the new driver package (the one you want) and restart the plug and play service.

start cmd.exe as an admin (windows key+x then type A) then run
pnputil.exe /e (this will list all of the installed driver packages)
find the name of the package you want to remove it will be something like oem32.inf
for example I have a network driver called realtek network adapter named oem36.inf
to remove the package I would use
pnputil.exe /d oem36.inf

here are some better written instructions...

Colif

Win 11 Master
MSI driver update software made to match the motherboard is fine normally. The driver finding software people warn against are programs from 3rd parties, as they can grab drivers that don't match your hardware.

Which motherboard do you have?
What router do you have? Its possible the router might need a newer version of firmware to support the driver

MiNe121

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I have a MSI Z170 Gaming Pro.. my router is the provided one from my ISP. checked nothing to update for firmware. thank you

you have to remove the driver package from the hidden driver store. It is kind of a pain. generally you disable the plug and play service, then use the pnputil.exe to remove the driver package. install the new driver package (the one you want) and restart the plug and play service.

start cmd.exe as an admin (windows key+x then type A) then run
pnputil.exe /e (this will list all of the installed driver packages)
find the name of the package you want to remove it will be something like oem32.inf
for example I have a network driver called realtek network adapter named oem36.inf
to remove the package I would use
pnputil.exe /d oem36.inf

here are some better written instructions:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875(v=ws.11).aspx

please note: some MSI network drivers require BIOS updates that match the driver you install.
they come as a matched set so you want to get them from your motherboard vendor not from a third party driver installer.

Solution

MiNe121

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

This worked. I thank you very much. My Ping is now back to normal. Thank you all for your help!!