[SOLVED] I upgraded but I got a downgrade instead. :(

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Old PC specs:
AMD A8-6600k
GA-F2A68HM-S1
RAM 8GB x2 (4gb Avexir core series ddr3 1600MHz)
GTX 750 TI
500 watz PSU
1TB seagate Desktop HDD

New PC specs:
AMD A8-6600k
GA-F2A68HM-S1
RAM 16GB 2x (8GB Team Elite DDR3 1600MHz)
RX570 8GB
600 watz PSU

I just have a question about my computer having issues after I upgraded some parts. (Listed above)
My pc suddenly went slow and have lag issues with some games I used to play with my previous set up.
I was able to trace that my HDD ws busted so I took my laptop HDD as a replacement. Everthing is slower now than it used to be.

Can somebody help me trace what went wrong? Everything seems to be slower than it used be before I upgraded. I'm also planning to upgrade my processor and motherboard but it will take me some time due to lack of budget. I was hoping I could still use my old processor and motherboard without the the slow/lag issues.

And sometimes the Pc boots and shuts down painfully slow and the restart function seems to be not working. Everytime I try to restart, my pc would just get stuck there and I have to hard reboot just to turn the PC on again. Thank you in advance to all those who can help me trace what went wrong.

Solution
I just transfered from laptop to desktop. The laptop is actually working perfectly so I thought it's HDD would be okay to put in to my desktop. But all the problems just popped out.

Windows installs are not modular in this fashion. Whether you use the HDD or a future new SSD, you need to do a full, fresh Windows install.

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
In using your laptop HDD in this desktop system, did you by any chance do an actual full OS reinstall?
Or just stick it in and it kinda works?
I just transfered from laptop to desktop. The laptop is actually working perfectly so I thought it's HDD would be okay to put in to my desktop. But all the problems just popped out.

frenchiveruti

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Buddy, this may come down to laptop HDD spinning speed, you didn't specify but your old HDD may have been 7200rpm , whereas laptop HDD are USUALLY 5600rpm, that can cause a LOT of lag and stutter on demanding games.
SSD is a great investment, don't go for a Samsung EVO, any cheap SSD can work wonderful to begin with, and then when you save up a little just switch them around, and I recommend doing a clean install.
Greets.

frenchiveruti

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Windows installs are not modular in this fashion. Whether you use the HDD or a future new SSD, you need to do a full, fresh Windows install.
That's not entirely true, I've upgraded my GPU from an AMD HD5600 to a Nvidia 1060GTX, my RAM from 8 to 16 and even my SSD from an HDD to a Samsung 970M.2
And I still have managed to avoid any fresh installs, without impact in performance.
But that, of course, is if you know what you're doing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's not entirely true, I've upgraded my GPU from an AMD HD5600 to a Nvidia 1060GTX, my RAM from 8 to 16 and even my SSD from an HDD to a Samsung 970M.2
And I still have managed to avoid any fresh installs, without impact in performance.
But that, of course, is if you know what you're doing.

It's still the best practice.

In your case, you weren't installing a new platform; he's slapping his laptop hard drive into his desktop PC. You don't need to reinstall for a GPU upgrade or more RAM.

I'm not saying all hardware changes require a fresh install, I'm saying this one does.

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020

In your case, you weren't installing a new platform; he's slapping his laptop hard drive into his desktop PC. You don't need to reinstall for a GPU upgrade or more RAM.

I'm not saying all hardware changes require a fresh install, I'm saying this one does.
I'm going to reformat my pc now. I just experienced a diskwrite error while downloading a steam game and some apps even the task manager aren't responding aswell. I will try to fresh install everything. Hopefully this will work. Thank you for the help and more power to this site. Helps noob people like me a lot.

MiranaSky

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Buddy, this may come down to laptop HDD spinning speed, you didn't specify but your old HDD may have been 7200rpm , whereas laptop HDD are USUALLY 5600rpm, that can cause a LOT of lag and stutter on demanding games.
SSD is a great investment, don't go for a Samsung EVO, any cheap SSD can work wonderful to begin with, and then when you save up a little just switch them around, and I recommend doing a clean install.
Greets.
My friend told me this. And I know this is wirght so I'm going to do a fresh install for my whole pc and hope I can gather enough money to buy an SSD as soon as possible. Thanks for the reply by the way. Big help mate.

frenchiveruti

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020

I agree with you my fellow internet stranger, don't take my words as a negative on your comment, I agree to a certain degree, that's all. :)