[SOLVED] I upgraded my graphics card and I'm getting less FPS than the older card. Why?

Technique11

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 560 Ti to a RX 580 4gb and I'm getting less FPS, around 30FPS less in Overwatch. I know that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU but shouldn't there be at least some FPS increase with the same graphics settings? I'm currently playing with an AMD FX-4200 with 8GB of 1600MHz RAM. I would like to find a solution to this problem.

Solution
Also for swaping the PSU if see if that helps I only have two pre-built office systems of which I can pull the PSU from but they might perform worse than what I have now.
Yes power supplies from old office PCs actually won’t even work most likely. They won’t have the needed wattage and connectors.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, that PSU seems to be a pretty hefty unit, and the RX 580 doesn't take much more power than the old 560Ti. Am I correct in assuming you have the settings the same in Overwatch as you had before?

My only concern with the PSU is that it's got 3 separate 12V rails, was orginally available in 2012 (older design), and, for a Gold efficiency unit, only has a 3 year warranty. Still, at over 900W available on the 12V rails combined, this shouldn't be a problem unless something's gone wrong with it over the years.

I've got to confess, clean driver install, and what appears to be far more PSU capacity than you'd need, I'm a bit stumped. If you have (or can borrow) a known good PSU, I'd try it out, just in case, but otherwise, I'm a bit baffled.

Technique11

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hmm, that PSU seems to be a pretty hefty unit, and the RX 580 doesn't take much more power than the old 560Ti. Am I correct in assuming you have the settings the same in Overwatch as you had before?

My only concern with the PSU is that it's got 3 separate 12V rails, was orginally available in 2012 (older design), and, for a Gold efficiency unit, only has a 3 year warranty. Still, at over 900W available on the 12V rails combined, this shouldn't be a problem unless something's gone wrong with it over the years.

I've got to confess, clean driver install, and what appears to be far more PSU capacity than you'd need, I'm a bit stumped. If you have (or can borrow) a known good PSU, I'd try it out, just in case, but otherwise, I'm a bit baffled.
These are the Overwatch graphics settings of which I've kept the same for both GPUs - Overwatch Graphics Settings Screenshot

Technique11

Prominent
May 7, 2020

Also for swaping the PSU if see if that helps I only have two pre-built office systems of which I can pull the PSU from but they might perform worse than what I have now.