Question I upgraded retro PC to a Pentium 3.0Ghz but It's only running at 1.5Ghz ?

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hi all. I've a retro pc used for Windows xp gaming and it originally came with a Celeron D. I applied a few upgrades including a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz. All fine. I then obtained a Pentium 3.0Ghz thinking the included hyperthreading would be a decent bump in performance. I ran a couple of benchmarks and noticed the score was down by a fair amount. Looking in the bios and cpu-z it states that the Pentium is indeed 3.0ghz but it's running at only half that speed. Speed does not increase when benchmarking. No options in bios report that this can be changed and HT is activated so it must be supported unless I am missing something. Doing a search does not find a later bios. PC is HP Pavilion A1009.uk.

Two screenies attached showing cpu and motherboard spec...tia.

Aug 3, 2022
Being it's an HP your mobo probably doesn't support that CPU but yet it still runs. However, at a slower speed that the BIOS has chosen will work? Being its a proprietary board I doubt you can adjust multipliers and voltages. You may just want to go back to the CPU's that worked. If you want that CPU to work you can probably pick up an old mobo on eBay that is not from a pre-built system but an enthusiest version. I'm not an expert but that is my 2 cents

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, looking at what sparse material can be found about a nearly 20 year old PC, it doesn't seem like this motherboard was ever sold with this CPU and Bob may be onto something as prebuilts usually have very limited BIOS, both in options and CPU compatibility.

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks guys for the prompt replies! Hope to benchmark the pc soon with a cpu upgrade which works. After looking at the cpu z info regarding motherboard intel chipset, the current cpu is not on the compatible list. I've ordered a cpu which is.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Your motherboard only supports 400 Mhz FSB speed, as you can see in CPU-Z info, so the Pentium 4 processor runs at half of its theoretical frequency (it should work at 800 Mhz FSB speed)
The most powerful CPU you could install on this motherboard, is the 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4:

https://www.intel.it/content/www/it...hz-512k-cache-400-mhz-fsb/specifications.html

Nice catch. It's been a long time since I thought about this hardware and checking this out didn't cross my mind.

TRENDING THREADS