[SOLVED] I Used Dispart To Remove An External Drive From PC - Now I Am Unable To Access Data

extraordinarytimes

Prominent
Apr 19, 2020
Hey all. Hi. I recently bought a Mini PC and tested apps and devices on it. So an issue occurred when I attached an external hard drive to that Mini PC and I have forgotten it was still connected to the PC when I shut it down. I only realized the external hdd was still attached when I went into This PC and saw it was still attached. I tried to dismount in the usual way like I do by going into system tray and eject it there. But that option wasn't there for me, so I went into This PC to do it there and nada, no go there as well. Same with Disk Manager and Device Manager. So I took myself online and online solutions to deal with my issue was scarce. I ended up using the dispart utility option not knowing what it will do (not 100% sure if its the cause) (I dunno) and I managed to dismount the drive from that PC. I plugged that same hard drive into my main PC and it doesn't show in This PC. I am unable to view the data like I could do before.

I am unable to screenshot it right now, but I can see the device in Disk Management and it looks like this.

disk-management-windows-10-58a5d33a3df78c345b052f96.png

As you can see, the Seagate drive is visible, but I am unable to access data now and since using diskpart on the other PC.

When I right click it, the option to assign a drive letter isn't available. Can anybody help me retrieve the data, please?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Last edited:

extraordinarytimes

Prominent
Apr 19, 2020
For diskpart I used the following >>

"diskpart"
"list volume"
"select volume 3"
"remove all dismount"
"exit"

There isn't a drive letter assigned to the drive as a result of what happened.

The image above was taken from the internet. This (the image below) is an actual image shot taken from my computer moments ago.

correctimg.png

Last edited: