[SOLVED] I used to be able to load up 500 tabs without crashing, now my PC can barely handle 50...could my RAM be defective?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I have an i5-8400 with 16 gigs of RAM, when the PC was new , I could load 500 tabs on Google chrome, even nearly 1000 if I waited.

Now with as little as 100 tabs open, the Broswer freezes, temps shoot up to 85 c , cpu stuck at 100%

PC didn't do that when it was new, I did a RAM test and it seems fine , what could be causing this drop in performance?

I've tried this with different broswers, Google Chrome, Canary and Firefox, all of em freeze the PC at about 100 tabs.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I have an i5-8400 with 16 gigs of RAM, when the PC was new , I could load 500 tabs on Google chrome, even nearly 1000 if I waited.

Now with as little as 100 tabs open, the Broswer freezes, temps shoot up to 85 c , cpu stuck at 100%

PC didn't do that when it was new, I did a RAM test and it seems fine , what could be causing this drop in performance?

I've tried this with different broswers, Google Chrome, Canary and Firefox, all of em freeze the PC at about 100 tabs.
Ok I have to ask. Why do you have 500 tabs open and are sad when toy can "only" have 100 tabs.

Don't read this wrong-I not saying you shouldn't have a bizzillion tabs open (it is your computer; do what you want),but why?

By the way, SamirD is right. If you wait long enough the most badass rig will struggle browsing the web.

Reactions: SamirD

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Ok I have to ask. Why do you have 500 tabs open and are sad when toy can "only" have 100 tabs.

Don't read this wrong-I not saying you shouldn't have a bizzillion tabs open (it is your computer; do what you want),but why?

By the way, SamirD is right. If you wait long enough the most badass rig will struggle browsing the web.
I'm a web designer, I inspect websites to see if they are worth contacting or not, looking at platforms at a glimpse etc...

I open hundreds of tabs, then I CTRL+w the bad ones, process of elimination, a reasonable batch size is 300.

I used to be able to open 3 browsers with 300 in each on different desktop win 10 views

Reactions: ClapTrapper

Colif

Win 11 Master
since its multiple browsers,
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution
Chrome actually been trying to reduce amount it uses - https://www.techradar.com/au/news/google-chrome-update-may-finally-stop-it-hogging-all-your-ram so it eating several gb of ram might be thing of past soon.

there are add ons that can reduce ram usage of inactive tabs as well.
LOL!!! Marketing and PR at its best--I haven't seen anything like this happen since the beginning of computing--the bloat continues...

And the reason it continues is because programmers aren't told to be efficient in their code, but efficient in their coding time. Ie, companies don't want to spend money on making efficient code for consumers to have an easy experience when consumers will gladly pay more for more hardware.

I'm a web designer, I inspect websites to see if they are worth contacting or not, looking at platforms at a glimpse etc...

I open hundreds of tabs, then I CTRL+w the bad ones, process of elimination, a reasonable batch size is 300.

I used to be able to open 3 browsers with 300 in each on different desktop win 10 views
Thank you for telling us your use case. Unless you are working with highly specialized tools, I would simply boot a linux live cd and use a linux environment for this work. And make sure you load up on ram.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
LOL!!! Marketing and PR at its best--I haven't seen anything like this happen since the beginning of computing--the bloat continues...

And the reason it continues is because programmers aren't told to be efficient in their code, but efficient in their coding time. Ie, companies don't want to spend money on making efficient code for consumers to have an easy experience when consumers will gladly pay more for more hardware.
" told to be efficient in their code"
You can tell the Goldfish to be more like the dog,but it ain't gonna happen.

My assembly language programs had to utilize Display List Interrupts (DLI) and Vertical Blank Interrupt (VBI) just to fit in the memory space.
Unfortunately, modern compilers don't have a " told to be efficient in their code" switch so programmers that are dedicated and bright are still in demand.