I want a new graphics card for my laptop but my current one is soldered

Zethrann

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Right now I have an hp laptop with an i7-45100 and a Nvidia GTX 850m. I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to a nvidia gtx 1070. I am wondering if there is any way that I can use the 1070 while my other graphics card is still soldered.

Solution
Which laptop do you have specifically?

GPU upgrades are unlikely in a laptop - desoldering/resoldering, coupled with potential lacking BIOS support and cooling limitations (generally) don't make it viable.

The alternatives are dedicated eGPU enclosures (usually/always requiring a Thunderbolt 3 connection), or some extreme modding to access available PCIe lanes (which I wouldn't recommend).

I'd consider selling your laptop and picking up something new opposed to trying to upgrade (assuming it's even theoretically possible).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which laptop do you have specifically?

GPU upgrades are unlikely in a laptop - desoldering/resoldering, coupled with potential lacking BIOS support and cooling limitations (generally) don't make it viable.

The alternatives are dedicated eGPU enclosures (usually/always requiring a Thunderbolt 3 connection), or some extreme modding to access available PCIe lanes (which I wouldn't recommend).

I'd consider selling your laptop and picking up something new opposed to trying to upgrade (assuming it's even theoretically possible).

Solution